I'd like to know if there is a way to organize issue based on customer / work order number

Zsolt Hajdu September 22, 2015

Our project for our client is organized around a pretty large number of customer list and work order numbers for each of the requests that come in. Every task would have its customer and work order number configured.

We were thinking to use custom fields, however the overhead of configuring these values will be pretty big and the team lead doesn't have the administrator rights to do that.

Of course, easy / transparent reporting is a concern as well, without having to build external tools.

Have you run into similar situations? Are there any plugins that in your experience could handle such a task organization scenario?

3 answers

0 votes
Nick October 5, 2015

It is hard to answer without knowing your constraints.

If work order number can be generated then let JIRA do it so issuekey = "work order number". I would also go with setting up a project per customer. This lets you do queries on both out of the box.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2015

I think the question here is what you mean by "organise".  JIRA will track and report on the issues you add to it, that's what it's for.  It's easy to search for stuff, and there's lots of ways of getting the data out.  But it's up to you to work out how to map the data in your system.

One option might be to use JIRA projects for clients, or projects within clients.  Or a project for each "work order", or an issue for each "work order" and sub-tasks to break it up into pieces.  Or a custom field to fill in the work order.

You might need add-ons if you need to build something JIRA can't do, but without really understanding what your data looks like, what you want it to do, and most importantly, how you want to report on it, we can't begin to suggest anything.

It all depends on how you want to organise it.

0 votes
Stas September 22, 2015

Hi, Zsolt!

Try CRM plugin by Teamlead, you can manage your clients in it, adn create issues by company.

Cheers!

Suggest an answer