I created a developer role & permission but developers still have admin permissions

Optimal Solution June 20, 2017

Hi! 

i have been stuck in this problem since a week. Mainly all users by defult are admins. I only have administrator role so that:

1- i created a developer role& permission

2- i added users to the Developers role and project to Developers permission.

3- I gave login access to the Developers

4- i gave only one permission to the developers which is adding comments. and all other permissions for the administrator. Just for testing.

5- I removed users from other groups and roles. They are only exist in Developers role.

After all that still Developers users have same permissions for administrators !!! what can i do more pelase help!

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2017

It's not clear what you mean by "administrator" here.

Three things you should check to establish what you're looking at

1.  If you mean "project admin", then I would approach this from the other end.  Go to the permission scheme and check the rule for "project admin" - what exactly does that say?

2. If you mean JIRA administration, then go to Admin -> Global Permissions and check which groups have System and/or JIRA administration.

3. If you mean Site Administration, then check who has that in your user management section (this is Cloud only, so ignore it if you're on Server)

JIRA administration is in all these groups:
JIRA Administrators
Browse Users
Create Shared Objects
Manage Group Filter Subscriptions
Bulk Change

I added the new role (Developers) to Browse Users only. But developers still can do all other permisions, i am nt sure why.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2017

Not quite what I asked.

Could you tell us what groups are named for the global permissions

JIRA Administrators

System Administrators (you won't see this if you are on Cloud)

groups.PNG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 20, 2017

No.  We need to see what groups are named as JIRA or System administrators.

Please bare with me. how can i find what you are asking for?? from Users managment then groups ??

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 20, 2017

No, as I said before, Admin -> Global Permissions

JIRA administration

Administrator
jira-administrators
site-admins

JIRA Software

Developers (I created this one)
jira-software-users

site-admins

i am not sure why my software is quite different i went to sittings then to system then to globle permissions then application access to find this.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 20, 2017

Ok, great, so now, look at who is in all three of those groups - Administrator, jira-administrators and site-admins

Two users, they are the admins. and they aint in the deverlopers group.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 20, 2017

Are you sure that your developers have "admin" - log in as a developer and check how many options they have under the admin cog - does it have a list of several options like "issues, add-ons, system, etc" or is it just "projects"

If anyone other than those two users have admin rights, then your system is completely broken and you'll need to raise this with https://support.atlassian.com

Optimal Solution June 21, 2017

Hi, thank you for baring with me. i think users in devlopers are acting same as jira- software-users, not admin, because i checked their dashboard and they can not control settings just like jira-software-users. does this change the whole case?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2017

Yes, because I'm now a bit confused on what the problem is.  If only your administrators have admin rights, and developers and jira-software-users have the right access to boards, I'm not sure where the issue is now!

0 votes
Suresh Sakhare
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2017

Are you using any user directory.If Yes then check the group level permissions. 

i am newbie, i only created projects/users/issues/ etc.. then assign it to users. 

Suggest an answer