I cannot get JIRA mail working with Gmail or Yahoo mail

Harry Zhang December 23, 2017

I selected Google App Mail/Gmail, and provided my Gmail user name and password, but it would not work. I pressed "Test Connection", it always returns with the following error message:

Unfortunately no connection was possible. Review the errors below and rectify:

I also tried Yahoo Mail Plus, but not working either. Both Yahoo mail and Gmail works fine on my computer and I used them both regularly.

Anyone can help? Thanks in advance!

------------------------------

Here is an error log when I tried "send Test email":

--------------------------------

An error has occurred with sending the test email:
com.atlassian.mail.MailException: javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: 535-5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at
535 5.7.8  https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BadCredentials j128sm16269379qkf.52 - gsmtp

at com.atlassian.mail.server.impl.SMTPMailServerImpl.sendWithMessageId(SMTPMailServerImpl.java:225)
 at com.atlassian.mail.server.impl.SMTPMailServerImpl.send(SMTPMailServerImpl.java:162)
 at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.mail.webwork.SendTestMail.doExecute(SendTestMail.java:107)
 at webwork.action.ActionSupport.execute(ActionSupport.java:165)
 at com.atlassian.jira.action.JiraActionSupport.execute(JiraActionSupport.java:63)
 at webwork.interceptor.DefaultInterceptorChain.proceed

3 answers

0 votes
Baris Sehitoglu August 25, 2020

The Solution is to go to Gmail's account setting and Turn off less secure apps

1. Go to the section of your Google Account. You might need to sign in.
  2. Turn Allow less secure apps on 
0 votes
Murugan Mittapalli November 14, 2018

@Harry Zhang, Did you get the solution for this, I am also facing the same issue, Please let me know if you fixed this issue.

Thank you.

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2018

With gmail, I'd recommend using your full email address as your username.  Such as user@example.com If you're using a google apps domain, this is required, but I still find it's best practice to do so even with those gmail.com domains.

Also did you walk through the Google Troubleshooting help as mentioned in that error link? https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BadCredentials

That link has some good next steps to follow as well.  If your Google account is currently setup to use 2 step verification, then you will likely want to create an App Password in order to let an application like Jira or Confluence to use this account.

Suggest an answer