I can't edit my own filters

fred parker December 20, 2012

I am the administrator in Jira and created filters with my account and when I try to edit my filters I get a login page that says

"'Sysadmin' does not have permission to access this page.

If you think this message is wrong, please contact your JIRA administrators."

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 20, 2012

this is a shot in the dark, but what groups does your account belong to? if you don't currently belong to the JIRA-USERS group, add yourself to that group and try again.

I was scratching my head on this one since I couldn't add the Jira-administrators group to the Jira-users group so I had to add the admin account to a group in the jira-users group. This is somewhat confusing since the administrator group should be able to do anything as described in the global permissions section of Jira. Go figure.

Thanks for the info on that. Jira is new here so as an admin I am setting up all dashboards, filters, etc. to get them started out without having to figure a lot of stuff out.

Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 20, 2012

if memory serves, JIRA-USERS helps distinguish between active and inactive users. if JIRA-USERS member, you're active and count against your 50 user license. if not, you're not active and don't count against the license. this is great in the case of someone leaving the company, but you don't want to delete the user. simply remove him from JIRA-USERS and you have that slot back.

as far as admins are concerned, consider the case where a JIRA admin is a member of another department (IT, let's say) who is responsible only for JIRA user management but doesn't use JIRA for issue creation/management. in this case, he would be a member of SYSTEM-ADMIN but not JIRA-USERS which means he can still do his admin stuff but doesn't count against your 50 user license.

Suggest an answer