I can't delete attachments from Issues

Gabriel Porras February 6, 2013

Hello,

I'm Administrator of our JIRA OdDemand and in some Issues I Can't delete attachments.

This is the message I receive:

This page allows you to manage the attachments for a particular issue. Only users with administrative privileges to remove an issue can remove attachments.

I verify and I'm Admisnitrator. What other permissions I need to verify?

Thanks,

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Fahd
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2013

Hi Gabriel,

As I answered it your support ticket, this is due to JIRA workflow property (jira.issues.editable) set to false.

As from what I've checked, deleting attachments falls under editing issues operation as well thus it is blocked by the property set.

P/S: We really appreciate your time in helping Gabriel in this case. At least it helped me to ruled out all the other possibilities.

Regards,

Fahd

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2013

I never came up with that. Good job

0 votes
Darryl Baker December 14, 2017

I found that the delete option in the new Jira UI (Experience the new Jira) doesn't work.  In the old UI it doesn't seem to work from the inline editor for the description - only in the attachments section below the description.

With the new Jira UI the attachments section isn't there until you click on the description for inline editing.

I hope this helps somebody.

0 votes
Gabriel Porras August 24, 2015

Thanks to Atlassing now I fixed the situation.

It was caused because the Issue is closed.

Then I re-open it and now I can delete the attchments.

0 votes
Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2013

Can you cross check your permission scheme ? You should either have 'Delete All Attachments' or
'Delete Own Attachments' Permissions.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2013

Vishnu is right, however

Only users with administrative privileges to remove an issue can remove attachments.

seems like you lack the Delete Issues permission.

Thanks Vishunu,

I've used the permissions helper with my user, the Issue and the "Delete All Attachments" permissions.

And the answer is:

Status:Gabriel Porras has the 'Delete All Attachments' permission

So why I can't delete?

Thanks

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2013

Could take a screen shot of your permission scheme ( the attachments portion is enough ) and post it here ? Let's have a look.

Also Appears:

Project Role

Gabriel Porras is a member of the Administrators project role

I'm administrator.

:(

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 6, 2013

what about the above mentioned Delete Issue permission?

Of course...

Take a look:

Thanks!

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2013

Well. Now, can you use the same permission helper and check whether you have rghts to 'Delete an Issue' in this project ? You can also try with another ticket in same project.

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2013

Good point Udo. Thats the reason I asked to check with another ticket.

Of course...

Actually in this project I have no other issue with attachments to test if I have the same situation.

But look this other permissions helpers. You can see I have all the permissions and I am Administrator:

Any ideas?

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 6, 2013

Vishnu, Gabriel has Delete Issue Permission, this is strange. I wonder if this is due to the fact he has no Edit Issue Permission (Only user and developer).

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2013

Thanks for the screen shot Gabriel. This is strange. As per the scheme, you should be able to delete attachments. Can you follow Udo's comment ? Can you add yourself to the 'Developer' role in this project and check ?

Ahh... But I have already all the profiles too.

That's not the problem. Take a look:

:'(

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 6, 2013

Now I'm totally lost. This looks like a bug to me. Since Gabriel has Delete all Attachment permission he should have

Permission to delete any attachments, regardless of who added them.

as stated in the documentation.

Excuse me. What do you mean with "Edit Issue Permission (Only user and developer)."???

Thanks

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 6, 2013

Only User and Developer have Edit Issue permission not the Admin role

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2013

Hi

We see you are member of all groups. But, what we are suggesting is, go to the project administration. in thr people section. Add your self as developer. Let's see how it goes.

Thanks Vishnu,

I was working with Google Chrome.

I tested with Internet Explorer and I have the same situation, so I 'll report it in the page you wrote.

Thanks a lot of for your time!

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2013

Okay. I would suggest to check with another browser too. If the problem persists, please open a ticket here https://support.atlassian.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

ok... In the project administration I was only Administrator.

I have already added to me as a Developer. TAke a look:

But I continue with the problem.

I can't delete any of the attachments.

If this is a bug, Where I report it?

Thanks

Roger Owers October 23, 2015

Did you resolve this? I seem to be facing the same problem. All admin, not delete issue (surely this is a red herring), no trash can, all permissions to delete all attachments... weird

Suggest an answer