I can only create a sub-task under an epic and not a task?

Ashleigh Friloux March 20, 2017

under an epic I would like to create a task but there is only an option for subtask. I have the following issue types in my project, epic, task (default), bug and subtask.

why isn't the task an option then? I can make a task, but I cant make it in an epic. I can assign the epic to the task, but why cant I create an task under the epic?

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2017

Epics are a slightly odd implementation.  They're actually issues held at the same level as task/issue/bug/story, but then have some additional functionality that turns them into Epics.  Issues at that standard level can have sub-tasks, but they can not contain issues at the same level.  The "epic link" field makes it look like the Epic contains the stories, but it's not a parent/child relationship like issue-subtask is.

To create an issue in an Epic in the main JIRA UI, create it via the usual "create issue" and fill in the epic link field.  Or go to a board and use "create issue" while looking at an Epic

Nina August 29, 2018

This is so weird. Liek Epics are literally stories that are too big for one single story so there needs to be this parent/child relationship imo. Also, why would I not use labels instead? seems to be much easier then. 

Suggest an answer