I am unable to add new people to my JIRA project board.

Deleted user January 24, 2020

I am the team lead (& have administer permissions) but still unable to add new people / users to my project board. Its a private project, thus I understand to add people to the project they need to already be a user. Please can anybody advise on how I may do this? I'be tried to follow the Atlasssian help guide, but it doesn't seem to help. 

4 answers

2 votes
Karthik March 9, 2021

I am a site admin of my JIRA Cloud Service Management. I am unable to add new People to my project. No error displayed on the screen.

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2020

Are you saying that the folks you are adding are not yet users in your Jira instance? If not then your Jira admin would need to add them first. If they are already users then assuming you are on a next-gen project you should go to project settings > access?

Thanks for your response! How do I know who my Jira administrator is? I am the project Admin, does that mean I am not eligible to do that? 

P.s. Sorry I am new to JIRA. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2020

There isn’t an obvious way with in Jira. I would suggest reaching out to your IT group as they typically own it. Most well formed IT groups will use Jira itself for internal requests (JSD). If so you could add an IT request to add users to Jira.

0 votes
Ole Treptow June 6, 2023

Hi @[deleted],

I know it's an older issue but I had the same problem.

As @Yogesh Mude said: you need an admin to invite the person. But some projects let you register as a self service if e.g. you have a white-listed domain.

But there's the use case I had, and perhaps you too. The story would go like this:

As an project administrator

I want to add registered users or groups to my project

so that I can administer my project without a jira or site administrator.

The site-admin can set the permission "browse users and groups" in the global permissions menu in the system settings. There you can apply this permission to any existing group. I just can't tell you which groups your administrator assigned you.

I hope, though very belated, can help you and others.

All the best,

Ole

Edit: If it's just a Kansan Board, then you have to give other users access to the query your board is based on.

0 votes
Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2020

HI @[deleted] 

May I know, what error you are getting while adding people to the project?

Hi @Yogesh Mude . Thank you for your response. I don't necessarily get an error. I have the option to "add to users to a role" but then when I search for my colleague I am unable to find him. I think its because he isn't a user maybe? 

But then I am unsure how to add him as a User? 

Thanks! 

Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2020

HI @[deleted] 

If you are sure that the user does not exist then you can navigate to Jira Settings >> user Management >> Invite the user.

Note: for this, you should have the Jira admin or site admin rights.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events