I am trying to get an email notification sent out when a helpdesk issue is created

opensaucesystems-mike February 10, 2015

This is my first question so please be gentle with me!

I have set up a service desk on Jira cloud and created a distinct notification scheme for it. I have allocated the notification scheme to the service desk. Within that scheme I have set up an email address to receive notifications of new issues being created so that we are aware of tickets being entered as follows:

Issue Created (System)

• All Watchers (Delete)
  • Reporter (Delete)
  • Current Assignee (Delete)
  • Single Email Address (support_staff@XXXXXXX) (Delete)
  • Single Email Address (mike@XXXXXXX) (Delete)

Unfortunately no emails are sent and I'm not sure how to hunt further. I have tried to submit a support ticket but the page says there is a problem with Atlassian.

Update notifications and test emails are sent so the email system works.

If anybody can help me or point me in the right direction I would appreciate it as I am fairly new to JIRA and still finding my way round.

Many thanks

Mike

3 answers

1 vote
opensaucesystems-mike February 14, 2015

All sorted with help from the JIRA support team.

Although the documentation says you can send emails out when events happen and the system will let you create a notification with an email address on it, you cannot send out notifications to an email address. This is apparently a security "feature" to prevent people ho cannot log in to the system from seeing the emails!

I have changed the notification from pointing to the email address of the user to point to the user himself and it works ... by sending it to the email of that user which was what I wanted in the first place!

Well we got their on the end and thanks for everyone's help.

Mike

1 vote
Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 10, 2015

It could be that you are testing to receive your own Issue Created message and your user has the setting "not to receive notifications of your changes"

Check on your profile preferences for: "My Changes: Do not notify me"

Ask if anybody else receives the notifications.

You can also see emails that are being sent on the Mail Queue section  (shortcut: 'gg' + 'queue')

Cheers

Thanks for that Mauro I thought that was the case originally but we added an external email address for notifications instead of selecting a user or group to try and get round that problem. It just doesn't seem to notify it when created. The person entering the ticket gets a notification so that bit works. There is nothing n the mail queue or the error queue but I can't find anything referring to sending an email in the Audit Log. It's almost like it is not even trying to send an email. Both email addresses are genuine and work, by the way. Thanks for your ideas. Mike

1 vote
Ops February 10, 2015

Hi Mike

It looks like your notification scheme is set up correctly - we do something similar but to the user group that contains the agents:

Issue Created (System)

• Current Assignee
  • Reporter
  • All Watchers
  • Group (service-desk-agents)

Is outgoing mail enabled and working in JIRA?

Administration > System > MAIL > Outgoing Mail

You should be able to send a test email from there, and check that the mail queue does not contain your stuck emails.

Matthew

Thanks Matthew I have enabled outbound email although there are no other settings on that page other than disable/enable. I can send all other emails with no problem including test emails and update notifications, it just won't send that creation one. Mike

Suggest an answer