I am trying to add a simple column to a kanban board and it won't show up

Bill Pennock June 16, 2016

I go to configure the board and add the column just fine, it looks great on the configure page but it never shows up in the actual board.  I've looked all over at workflow schemas.  I've spent over an hour trying things from the documentation on something that looks like it aught to be perfectly straight forward.  Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2016

Odd. 

I usually avoid screenshots as they usually fail to capture the information we actually need, but in this case, I'd like to see two - the board column definition screen and the user's standard view of the board (with the missing column).  Before that, could you ensure that your new column is somewhere in the middle of the other columns, and that it has at least one status in it.  Also, could you post (plain text, with any sensitive data obscured if you need it), the fllter for the board and the sub-filter.

Bill Pennock June 16, 2016

"has at least one status in it".   That was the key.  I actually thought I had a status in it when I made the column but when I read your answer I looked again and my status has somehow moved to the "not associated with an issue" which was true but....  Anyway I dragged it over to the column heading and it dropped under the column and it dropped under the column with no issues and the column shows up now. thanks 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2016

Ah, fantastic!  I admit I solved that by accident - it was a suggestion to make debugging easier, as I completely forgot that no-status columns are hidden!

Rigo Sierra February 21, 2019

How to you create a status against the new added column?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2019

Create a status as normal, either by creating it via admin -> status, or editing the workflow.  Then map it into the column via "board configuration"

Suggest an answer