I am publishing a workflow...Will it have any effect on the default workflow?

Mark Tellier October 30, 2014

Our entire JIRA is based on a default workflow. When I create a new workflow and Publish Workflows, I see:                                

Step 1 of 2: The current status of each issue needs to be changed so that it is compatible with the new workflows.

If I publish the new workflow will it have any effect on the default workflow?

2 answers

1 vote
Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2014

Your new workflow needs also to be associated to issue types in the workflow scheme. The definition here is very important, otherwise you can use both workflows.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2014

No, the default workflow is fixed and won't be affected.

Other workflows won't be affected either if you create more.

However, one minor note is that workflows often share status.  So if you are using status X in several workflows and you rename that status, then it will appear with the new name in all the workflows.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2014

By the way, there's two questions here, one implied and one explicit. I've answered the explicit one (workflows are independent of each other, apart from shared status) The implied one better phrased, and also answered over at https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/10389521/answers/10389551?flashId=1107400394

Suggest an answer