I am not able to see estimate field in story point/tasks in Kanban board

Piyush Gupta July 10, 2016

Hello,

I downloaded and exploring JIRA trial version but facing below issue.

1) Is it possible to estimate task/story points in Kanban project.
2) I am not able to see any field which creating tasks.
3) Estimation tab is not available in Board-> Configure

Please guide..

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2016

1. Estimates are a Scrum thing, not Kanban.  You can add story points and/or estimates by adjusting the fields available on the issues, but it won't mean anything to the Kanban board other than "here's another field".  To use estimates in full, try creating a Scrum board

2. I don't understand this question.  Fields don't create tasks, users do - I'm not sure what you are doing, or expecting.

3. See 1.

Piyush Gupta July 11, 2016

So if i am getting you right, what you are saying is :

In Kanban, we can't have any original estimate like thing. Only we can log efforts against those later while in progress and move them in appropriate state like ToDo/In Progress/Completed.

In nutshell, we are using Kanban only because we don't have any effort visisbility about the issue/task. Please confirm my understanding and thanks a lot for your response

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2016

Not quite.

I'm saying that you can have the estimates on the issues, and log time against them too, which means you can still do reporting and tracking on estimates and times.

But, Kanban does not care about those estimates, the methodology for Kanban is a simple flow of "stuff comes in, we deal with it, and close it", and hence it does not report on the estimates, because they don't matter to Kanban.

Suggest an answer