I am having trouble creating issue types that have their own screens.

Garrett P April 22, 2016

First, Our JIRA admin left unexpectedly.  

So far I have created the issue types, created and assigned an issue type scheme, created the screens, created and assigned the screen scheme.  I then tried to assign the issue type screen scheme, but this still isn't working as desired.

Any advice/input would be GREATLY appreciated.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2016

Well, high level, you:

• Create a Screen
  • Create a Screen Scheme to map that screen to a set of operations (for your case, "All Unassigned" is reasonable)
  • Create an Issue Type Screen Scheme to map the Screen Scheme to particular issue types (Default should work here for you)
  • Assign the Issue Type Screen Scheme to your project

Your description of what you did is ambiguous in some ways; if this overview doesn't help, then we'll need more specific information.  Screen shots are always helpful as well.

Garrett P April 22, 2016

Great feedback.

We have a Legal JIRA project.  I am attempting to to:

Create the Issue Type "Subpoena"

Create the Issue Type Scheme "Legal Subpoena" in order to Have Task and Subpoena on the Create screen

Create the screen "Legal Subpoena"

Create the Screen Scheme "Legal Subpoena"

Essentially I need mutually exclusive screens for Tasks and Subpoena's.  Which screen shots can I grab for you?

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2016

So you have two Issue Types, "Task" and "Subpoena".  Assuming the project key is "LEGAL", I would:

• Create a Screen called "LEGAL Subpoena Default Screen" (with appropriate fields)
  • Create a Screen called "LEGAL Task Default Screen" (with appropriate fields)
  • Create a Screen Scheme called "LEGAL Subpoena Screen Scheme" and map the "LEGAL Subpoena Default Screen" to either the Create Issue operation, or all of Create/View/Edit.
  • Create a Screen Scheme called "LEGAL Task Screen Scheme" and map the "LEGAL Task Default Screen" to either the Create Issue operation, or all of Create/View/Edit.
  • Create a "LEGAL Issue Type Screen Scheme", and map the "LEGAL Subpoena Screen Scheme" to types of "Subpoena", and map the "LEGAL Task Screen Scheme" to types of "Task"
  • Assign "LEGAL Issue Type Screen Scheme" to the project "LEGAL"

I use "Default" in the screen name, because it's not atypical to wind up with something like a "Legal Subpoena Resolve Screen" down the road, so you can select that screen during a transition.  The "Default" helps to make the relative difference clear.

Re: the third and fourth bullet, if you want this screen just for Create Issue, just assign it to Create Issue, and assign some other screen (exclusive, shared, stock, whatever) to View/Edit.

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2016

The end result will be that, if you select "Task" when creating an issue in the LEGAL project, they'll get the "LEGAL Task Default Screen".  Whereas if you select "Subpoena", you'll get the "LEGAL Subpoena Default Screen".  Oh, speaking of... if you only map the screens to "Create Issue", then you'd want to name them:

• LEGAL Task Create Screen
  • LEGAL Subpoena Create Screen

Instead of "Default Screen".  I'd only name them "Default Screen" if they are being used for all of Create/Edit/View.

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2016

Finally, that naming scheme is just my preference; I use "PROJECTKEY Type Operation Screen" whenever making a project/type specific screen, or "CATEGORY/GROUP Type Operation Screen" if it's shared amongst several projects, and just "KEY/CAT/GROUP Operation Screen" if it's not type specific.  You may be able to derive a pattern in your existing deployment, or it may be whatever a given person chose at the time.  Mostly, I think this is a good example of where the functional boundaries are; you are, of course, welcome to name them all whatever you like smile.

Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2016

Great answer Jeremy.

Garrett P May 18, 2016

This was great.  Nailing down a more standard naming convention got this to where it needs to be.  I've also completely redone 3 other projects based on this information!

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 18, 2016

Happy to help smile.

Suggest an answer