I am configuring mail server on jira but it shows me error like : AuthenticationFailedException

Aarti Parikh January 21, 2018

Error:

An error has occurred with sending the test email:
com.atlassian.mail.MailException: javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException

Please give me the reason why this error come , I am configuring mail server and also put the certificate in server

Thank You

1 answer

0 votes
Sebastian Kleinholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2018

Can you please provide more details like protocol, SSL activated, mail relay or mail server, usage of self-signed certificates, keystore, etc.

Aarti Parikh January 22, 2018

I am following this document

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira062/using-gmail-as-a-jira-mail-server-588582074.html

I am configuring mail server with Gmail secure Server

please give me the reason why I am getting this type of error

Thank You

Sebastian Kleinholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2018

Following your link, I investigated the code example:

<Resource name="mail/GmailSmtpServer"
    auth="Container"
    type="javax.mail.Session"
    mail.smtp.host="smtp.gmail.com"
    mail.smtp.port="465"
    mail.smtp.auth="true"
    mail.smtp.user="myusername@gmail.com"
    password="mypassword"
    mail.smtp.starttls.enable="true"
    mail.smtp.socketFactory.class="javax.net.ssl.SSLSocketFactory"
/>

I am familiar with the Sun Mail API. I think above there is a typo at the password side. It needs to look like this:

mail.smtp.password="mypassword"

If this doesn't help please activate Debug logging for the Mailer: Administration -> System -> logging anf profiling. There enable debug at the Mail Section.

Sebastian Kleinholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2018

Just for interest, did this fix your problem?

Suggest an answer