Howto re-index SVN-repository with Subversion-Plus plugin for Jira?

HBT Infrastruktur Einzelaccount March 24, 2014

We need possibility to change commit-messages in subversion and we want them to be updated in jira. Because of the incremental indexing of subversion-plus-plugin, usually they are not updated, I think a nightly re-indexing will do that.

how can we force subversion-plus to re-index the repositories. How ca we automate this?

3 answers

0 votes
HBT Infrastruktur Einzelaccount April 16, 2014

Seems, there is no possibility for reindexing a whole repository. The suggestion to do it inside the database ist no solution for us, so we haver to wait or to build a plugin by ourselves...:-(

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2014

There are directions in the documentation on how to re-index. It is not a clean process since sometimes communications between the plugin and svn breaks down and you need to restart indexing or restart Jira.

Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2014

sometimes communications between the plugin and svn breaks down and you need to restart indexing or restart Jira

Do you mean there is not any way to continue indexing after some error accessing to a repository? This sounds like a bug as there are not too much reasons for that. It should continue as normal by:

• clicking on the repository's Activate link
  • clicking on the indexing process' Start Now link
  • or simply waiting for the indexing process be fired by the scheduler

All the three above actions should continue indexing repositories after some network issue. If the indexing process stops indexing forever then there is a bug somewhere.

HBT Infrastruktur Einzelaccount March 25, 2014

I couldn't find those directions in the documentation, could you give a hint?

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 17, 2014

Which version of subversion plus and Jira are you running since the directions changed as subversion plus developed into subversion alm. Also it would helpful which indexing structure you are using if you had a choice.

The general case was stop jira, delete a directory/database, start jira

0 votes
Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 24, 2014

You do not need to re-indexing.

You can do it by using the web console (please see the animated gif attached in this issue SVN-59) which requires JIRA admin privileges or doing something similar by writting your own custom plugin using the public JAVA API to provide a GUI to allow others to make those modifications

HBT Infrastruktur Einzelaccount March 24, 2014

Thanks for the answer. I would prefer to do that globally without knowing which jira-issue might be affected by a changed commit message. Developers here won't do what you showed in the animated gif even if we built a plugin, they will foget... 'That's why I thought of re-indexing...

Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2014

I would prefer to do that globally without knowing which jira-issue might be affected by a changed commit message

If I understood this well then it is not possible. Developers are the only persons knowing the issue that a commit is affecting to and this cannot be replaced by any automatic global process.

The plugin might help when a developer forgets or types a wrong issue key in the commit. In these cases it would be possible that the developer (or another person) fix the mistake without re-indexing the full repository from the beginning by following some of the instructions above.

There are add-ons on the Markeplace forcing developers to type a valid issue key in the commit message based on some rules. Maybe, they might be useful for you to avoid developers breaking traceability.

HBT Infrastruktur Einzelaccount March 25, 2014

OK, I thought of something like deleting the index of subversion-add-on an rebuilding it from scratch, reading the subversion-commit-messages from the beginning every night. Perhaps that might become a performance issue but not having tried it, I would never know.

Therefor I do not have to know which commits or issues are affected by changed messages. In my eyes this might be possible but eventually not implemented.

Suggest an answer