HowTo Upgrade from 3.13 to 5.1x faster ?

Helmut Auer November 12, 2012

Hello,

We are just evaluating the migration from Jira 3.13. to 5.1

It works fine now by installing a new 4.x version, migrating old db and then upgrade to 5.1

Is there a way to update the new testing version with the contents of the productive 3.13 system, without going through the two update steps and loosing all the plugins and settings we made to the new system ?

Thanks in advance

Helmut

3 answers

1 vote
Jozef Kotlár
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2012

Another speed-up option - at least in my experience is to disable auto backup.

As you already make your backups by other means (as it is recommended not to use XML backup) this step is pure waste of time.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2012

Agreed - also you can disable some of the intermediate reindexings. This is more tricky because you need to be sure a later upgrade step does not rely on it, but made it a lot faster for us.

hote February 15, 2013

Can I upgrade JIRA from 3.x to 5.x just with SQL Server Backup, but with out the XML backup?

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 12, 2012

I've never done this two-phase recommendation that Atlassian recommends (either for jira or confluence). I believe they recommend it just so that it's easier for them to diagnose problems if there are any. The key thing is to test the migration on a copy of your production dataset. If it works you can do it in one fell swoop in production.

0 votes
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 12, 2012

Hi Helmut,

The recommended method is to upgrade on two phase actually, first to 4.3 and above (4.3.x-4.4.x) then to 5.1. This is to ensure that the major migration process done in one upgrade phase so that the troubleshooting process will be easier if something happen.

For your information, JIRA 4.3.x-4.4.x is where the user migration occurred, then you could go straight to 5.x. However as describe earlier, it is recommended to upgrade to 4.3.x.

In order to upgrade with your plugin intact, you could try the following steps on your staging environment and see how it goes:

Upgrading Manually

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

Suggest an answer