How would I have an email sent when a user is entered into a custom field?

Greg Harabedian January 30, 2015

I have added a custom field that allows the user to enter one of the users usernames.  The field does an auto lookup of the existing user base and puts the username into the field.  I would like to send the user an email when they are entered into that field.  How would I go about triggering an email to be sent saying their name was entered into this field?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2015

Emails are sent when a notification scheme is set up to pick up events on issues.  The event fired by "update field(s) on an issue" is "issue updated", so you could add your user-picker field to the notification for "issue updated" and your user would start getting emails.  But they will then get emails for all updates, not just when they are added to the list.

To be more clever, you're going to need code - skip the notification scheme entirely and have a listener pick up "issue updated" and check if the field was edited during the event and then send an extra email.

But you can't implement that code on Cloud.

Suggest an answer