How would I be able to use the REST APIs in JIRA for my reindexing?

Alfie Patolilic May 24, 2017

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this question had already been asked.

I've been checking all over the Atlassian Community and any other sites to search for answers. I'm looking for a way to trigger re-indexing in JIRA.

I came across the this documentation about using the 'cURL' command.

As well as other questions by users:

But there is a bug when running the re-indexing through the REST API.

Which is why I need to get more answers beforehand.

Which would be more suitable in this?, I was not able to get more information about other users using the REST API, will i need to stick with manually triggering the re-indexing from the UI?

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 24, 2017

Hi Alfie,

I tested this in a 7.3.6 instance and did not run into any issues using the REST API to re-index. In regards to the bug that you linked to I did not see those errors in my logs using either of the following:

curl -u admin_username:admin_password -X POST $JIRAURL/rest/api/2/reindex?type=FOREGROUND
curl -u admin_username:admin_password -X POST $JIRAURL/rest/api/2/reindex

The bug ticket does state the issue occurs in 25% of instances that are on JIRA 6.4.14, 7.1.10 Server, 7.2.3 Server so I would upgrade to a version beyond 7.2.3 if possible.

I hope that helps!

Branden

Alfie Patolilic May 26, 2017

Hi Branden,

Thank you for replying, 

At the moment our JIRA instance is of version 6.4.4, we haven't made plans yet in upgrading.

As you have stated, within the version 6.4.x, there bug may occur in 25% of the instance on this version.

Will I avoid using the API until I upgrade to a newer version?, and just reindex manually?.

Cheers

Suggest an answer