How will I license 'Applications' for JIRA 7?

wkennedy September 22, 2015

If 'Core' is licensed for 10000 users, but I have only 50 that need Portfolio, will I still be recommended to "Purchase the license tier that matches the number of users you have licensed for your host application"?

It seems like the new licensing model allows for more flexible deployment, in that I can allow access to Portfolio only from the Group who requires it.

Is this the case? Will I have a 10000 user 'Core' license, with another 10000 user license for 'Service Desk' also supporting my 50 Portfolio users and 500 Agile users?

A Marketplace FAQ update or other 'authoritative' source is much appreciated!

(Info from Partners is highly regarded (thanks, Nic))

1 answer

0 votes
Deniz Oğuz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2015

Update: Licensing model is changed a lot in JIRA 7. Please see @Nic Brough [Adaptavist]'s comments and examples in below. 

Yes it needs to match JIRA User licensing, that means if you have 10000 user JIRA license you should also purchase Portfolio for 10.000 users. Please check FAQ under Pricing tab of Portfolio page : https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.radiantminds.roadmaps-JIRA

Only add-on that has different pricing model is Service Desk. It is based on agents not number of your JIRA users. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2015

But it's changing in JIRA 7.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2015
wkennedy September 23, 2015

Yes, that document is what prompted my question.

wkennedy September 23, 2015

To be clear; I'm looking for an authoritative answer from Atlassian or a Partner.

Kit Lou November 9, 2015

Great question! We have the same situation (only have about 50 real users of Portfolio out of 2000) - this license change is good but what is the point if we still have to purchase Portfolio for the same number of 'Core' users? It should be intelligent enough to limit active users at any time to no more than 50.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2015

Ok, I've had my understanding confirmed many times now. Applications are licenced on a user basis, but add-ons need to match the licence numbers for the application they are linked to. Portfolio is an add-on for JIRA Core, so it will need to be licenced at the highest tier you have Core users for. (It is a logical candidate to become another application, but I have no idea if or when this could happen) So... The simple example is JIRA Core 2000 users. You need 2000 Portfolio users too. The more complex example is when you have one of the two Applications installed. Let's go with: JIRA Core users: 50 JIRA Software users: 100 This lets a total of 150 different users use JIRA. 100 of them can use everything, 50 of them can only use Core, they won't get access to Software functions like boards. As Portfolio is an add-on, then you will need to licence it for 100 users in this case, as that's the higher number of users. (p.s. William, I work for a partner, if that helps)

René Schabacker November 9, 2015

Well, I think Core 50 + Software 100 which includes Core makes 150 Core users in total. So you would have to license Portfolio for 150 users (respectively the 250 users tier).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 10, 2015

No. That is why I wrote the example the way that I did. It's highest, NOT total. You only need 100 for the Portfolio add-on.

René Schabacker November 11, 2015

It still confuses me, because how can you have 100 software users and only 50 core? If you buy a 100 users licence for JIRA software you automatically get a 100 core users licence. And if you buy an additional licence of 50 core users you in fact have 150 core users. Then you would have to compare 150 core against 100 software users, and the highest is 150, because all of them could use Portfolio.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2015

No. You're not understanding that the licences are for separate things. If you buy 100 Core users, you have 100 Core users, that's fine. You can NOT buy "another 50 Core users", because the next tier is 250. Now, imagine I've got 100 Core. I now get 50 Software users. Software licences give you Core + Software. So adding that to my current installation gives me 100 Core + 50 Software (and the 50 Software users can also use Core). Finally, my highest licence tier there is 100, so Portfolio needs to be licenced for 100.

René Schabacker November 11, 2015

Now we're on the same page :) And as you said earlier - Portfolio is a logical candidate to become an application. As long as it's licenced as add-on we can't jusitfy the cost in our organization. I think most companies have fewer potential Portfolio users than Core users.

Suggest an answer