How use Jira for traditional PM?

Guido Bicocca April 24, 2014

Hi! I'm trying Jira. The company where I works, download the Jira for test it. The company is a Software Development Company. I'm a member of the IT Infraestructure Team, specifically my role is a PM. The Project Management Software we are looking for need to use for both areas: Infrastructure & Development.

In Jira I'm looking for a Gantt, or how is possible to manage task and it will be assigned to differentent team member to track it. I do not found it on Jira. I see a lot issue management. I would like to use some tips from Agile method, the cards is a great, I use it on trello, I would like to use the team colaboration of Jira, the Project Management Software to track it, using the cards, but I need create task, assign owners for these tasks.

Thanks in Advance!

Regards

Guido

2 answers

0 votes
Guido Bicocca April 30, 2014

I need a Project Management Solution, create a WBS, Gantt Chart, I would like to manage people and task, time and manpower, task assignament, Time Management of the people. I can see the deadlines and set alarms. Generate KPIs and reports. Proyect Management.

I saw some things, I like it, other thing that I need, I need buy by addon, a lot of addon that are more spencive that Jira. How I tell, I need a tool that works with Software Development and traditional with colaborative solution.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2014

Many addons have a trial period or provide limited functionality for 'free'. What plugins you choose is up to you. As Nic pointed out, your description is too vague to give you a more specific answer.

As long as you are not trying to exactly duplicate your previous system, Jira can do what you want in terms of project management. It is finding the right pieces that match closely what you are looking for that takes some trial and error.

Guido Bicocca May 8, 2014

I understand, but the addon is list of unfinished of price to Jira.

We go to redmine, is more powerfull and have more connections and the best of all is free and open source.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2014

Well, strictly, a lot less functional/powerful and doesn't have much extensibility. But yes, free and opensource. We'll see you in a while (A lot of Redmine users move to Jira when they need somehting with a bit more oomph)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2014

I'm not sure there's actually a question here.

Jira tracks issues. Off the shelf, it's got a basic development workflow, and some core fields, including an "assignee" field which you should use for knowing who is/should be working on any issue/card.

I'm afraid just saying "I'd like to use it" is really not enough for us to begin to help you. All I can really say is "install it, create a project and play with it", then come back to us with any specific questions.

There is one thing in here I can help you with - Jira does NOT have a Gantt chart in it, but there are a number of plugins that provide one.

Thanks for you quickly reply! We allready have installed the Jire on our Servers. I'm trying it now. These question is because I do not found it on Jira and I would like to now how I can use it. My specific question is how I can manage a project with a Gantt Chart, asinged task and see it on the chart.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2014

Still not quite sure what you're looking for, but have a look at the options in https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?application=jira&category=&cost=&hosting=&marketingLabel=&q=gantt

That add a add-on to Jira for Gantt Chart, but that add task management too?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2014

I can't say I actually know what you are looking for.

Jira is an issue tracker. You can easily see tasks as issues (heck, there's even a "task" issue type in the default settings). An issue has an assignee, reporter, due date, versions, description, summary, priority and so-on. You can report on this, update the data, and add your own field. There's a whole range of stuff you can do with the process (workflow). It does practically everything you need to do "task management". So I'm not sure what you're really asking for here.

Suggest an answer