How to view deleted stories from a JIRA issues filter

Ranae Franke January 29, 2021

I'm looking for a way to pull up a list of stories that were deleted from a Jira Project Board that is for both active and completed sprints. Is there a way to view these or once deleted they are no longer accessible at all?

4 answers

3 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2021

Deleted is deleted, period. 

Do not delete issues. When you delete it is GONE. Hardly a week goes by without someone wanting to restore an issue. Deleting issues will come back and bite you when it is the most inconvenient. I suggest closing with a resolution value of Deleted anything you want to delete. I implement a special transition only the project lead can execute and it requires filling in a reason field from a select list (such as entered in error, OBE, Duplicate, Other) and explanation text.

Deleting issues destroys historical data. Missing issue numbers will eventually cause a question about what it was and why was it deleted even if it was done properly. Missing data always brings in the question of people hiding something that may have looked bad.

The only viable way to restore an issue is to create a new instance of JIRA and restore a backup that has the issues. Then export them to a csv file and import them to your production instance. You will lose the history.

None of my users have delete permission.

0 votes
Answer accepted
KHack January 29, 2021

To tag on to Joe's answer, until recently it wasn't even an auditable event. We weren't even giving Delete permission to the admins, knowing that for them to delete something would require changing a permission scheme, which IS an auditable event. If you're in a Data Center instance, I'd recommend archiving over deleting.

If you meant the issue was removed from the sprint/board, it should still be discoverable by searching the issue key, or viewing the Sprint Report for the sprint that used to contain it.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2021

You don't.  Deleted issues are gone.  You can't view something that isn't there.

Unless you do not mean "deleted", but "no longer on the board/report/display/dashboard.  In that case you will need to look at what the view is using to choose what issues it is displaying and look at why your issues are no longer selected by it.

0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 30, 2021

Hi @Ranae Franke ,

As an alternative you can try Restore Deleted Issues app. Once installed it starts tracking deleted issues and allows you search and restore them. Hope it helps.

Suggest an answer