How to use the releaseDate function for a specific day of week

Ron L August 14, 2017

Hello, I'd like to use the JQL function releaseDate to target a specific day in the week, for example Tuesday of the current week without having to specify a specific day.  This is used to dynamically populate a dashboard that shows all the issues scheduled for release on each day of the current week.

Basically, I want to write the equivalent of:

fixVersion in releaseDate("after startOfWeek('+1d') before startOfWeek('+2d')")

3 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joshua Yamdogo @ Adaptavist
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2017

You can do this, but from my testing, you need to count backwards.

For instance, if I want all issues that have a fix version release date on Thursday, I'd write:

fixVersion in releaseDate("on endOfWeek(-2d)")

If I want all issues that are going to be released on Tuesday:

fixVersion in releaseDate("on endOfWeek(-4d)")

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 12.37.39 PM.png

Ron L August 16, 2017

That works great.  It seems like the issue was the single quotes I was adding around the parameter to startOfWeek() that was causing the error.

Like Stephan Rothämel likes this
Ryan Anderson October 2, 2019

i am attempting to follow the logic here and am unable to produce any results. i am attempting fixVersion in releaseDate("after 2019-01-01 before 2019-09-15") and am just getting errors. do you have any suggestions for overcoming this? thanks in advance for your help. 

Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2019

@Ryan Anderson , you can try to your case:

fixVersion in releaseDate("after 2019-01-01") and fixVersion in releaseDate("before 2019-09-15")
Like Ben Admin likes this
Whitney Patterson January 13, 2020

Unfortunately, this does not work. Error below:

• Unable to find JQL function 'releaseDate(after 2019-01-01)'.
  • Unable to find JQL function 'releaseDate(before 2019-09-15)'.
Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2020

@Whitney Patterson , you should add an "". 

releaseDate("after 2019-01-01"
releaseDate("before 2019-09-15")
Like # people like this
Whitney Patterson January 14, 2020

@Alexander Bondarev Thank you, I did use quotations previously - I copy and pasted the query. See screenshot below. Same error. Is there something I am missing?jql query.JPG

Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2020

Wow! I checked on 3 Server instances - it's right.

But when I checked this query on Cloud - I got your error. 

@Whitney Patterson , so you are an Jira Cloud user? 

Like # people like this
Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2020

Interesting that JQL-syntax checker think that it is right query... 

Try to ask that on Atlassian Support Portal. very interesting...

I checked list of JQL Cloud improvements here - there is no similar task.

Like # people like this
Whitney Patterson January 15, 2020

@Alexander Bondarev Ah, good point! Yes I am on Jira Cloud. Thank you for digging deeper - I will definitely reach out to Support.

Like Ben Admin likes this
Brandon Pierce January 23, 2020

@Whitney Patterson I am curious, did you hear anything from support on this issue? I would love to make this query work and I am on cloud as well.

Like # people like this
Ryan Clark January 6, 2021

I am on Jira cloud and I am having the exact same problem that @Whitney Patterson was having. I would love to have a solution for this problem. Is there a fix or an alternative?

EDIT - Oh, it seems the official position of Atlassian is, "No."
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-22640

Whitney Patterson February 2, 2021

I have not received any help yet, but will be trying again. Still no solution for Jira Cloud.

TTuteleers February 9, 2021

hi all, the "in releaseDate()" functionality is not native Jira, it comes from scriptrunner ;) 
So if you don't have scriptrunner, you can't use this query. 

See doc here

1 vote
Casey Maynard April 12, 2019

Is there any way to have the Release Date displayed as a column in my query output? I want to see the Release Date connected to each of the JIRA cards I have listed.  Thanks

Here is the query >>> fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() AND sprint in openSprints()

Jamil Rahimov
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2021

@Casey Maynard 
Did you find the answer ?

0 votes
Henk Smets October 2, 2020

Did you got a solution?

Whitney Patterson October 13, 2020

@Henk Smets Unfortunately No, I have not.

Katiana Montoya February 26, 2021

👍

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events