How to use pop mail server for receiving email from gmail id

Venkatesh Bn June 11, 2012

Hi every one,

How to use pop mail server for receiving email from gmail id.Actullay I have given our pop mail server id and created services also. please give your ideas

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2012

<sigh> You do know there's documentation to search? Like https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Using+Gmail+as+a+JIRA+Mail+Server

Hi,

Already have conf SMTP.Now have conf pop also but i have to know,How to work with pop mail server.share your ideas

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2012

It's in the document. I don't understand what you're missing.

Hi

I need doc for jira 4.2,how to send a mail from pop mail server

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2012

Um. That makes me worry - it sounds like you don't know what a POP mail server is.

To connect Jira to one, so it reads the mail from a POP mail server, see the documentation I've referred you to - it's broadly valid for all versions of Jira from around 3.4 onwards from memory.

I have give gmail pop mail server,administrator--jira administrator--services--creted one service

After what i have do.give me some valuable STEPS

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2012

I'm sorry if I seem terse, but you don't seem to be grasping what I'm saying. I may well be misunderstanding you as well, for which I apologise.

Let me break it down into simple questions

1. The link I've given you states how to connect Jira to Gmail. I'm not going to copy and paste that here to provide you with the "STEPS" you want, so please re-read it and then tell us what part of it you are not understanding?
  2. What are you doing differently from what it says in the documentation?
  3. What are you actually trying to do at a high level? For example
    1. Send mail from Jira (i.e. notifications)
    2. Get mail into Jira converted into comments/issues/something-else
    3. (or both of the above, of course)
    4. Something else?
  4. Can you confirm that we are only talking about the initial setup for now - that is, connecting Jira to email?

I know there's a lot of related stuff, but can we get plain answers to those simple questions to start with?

The link I've given you states how to connect Jira to Gmail. I'm not going to copy and paste that here to provide you with the "STEPS" you want, so please re-read it and then tell us what part of it you are not understanding

---As per that link there is no details about pop mail server

What are you doing differently from what it says in the documentation?

---I have conf smtp mail server

What are you actually trying to do at a high level? For example

--Send mail from Jira (i.e. notifications)--Already am getting mail from jira 4.2

Can you confirm that we are only talking about the initial setup for now - that is, connecting Jira to email?

---emails has to receiving by jira from pop mail server.for this i need steps,already i have setup pop server and created service

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2012

1) What? Not even the section that says "Configuring Gmail for incoming mail (POP)"?

2/3) Your answers here have answered question 2 - you've got outgoing mail working.

4) I'm sorry, I'm still lost. Do you mean you are trying to get Jira to read a POP server and do something with what it finds? Again, could you explain what the end goal is? What are you trying to do with this POP mail server? I assume you've got the POP mailbox working and you can read it with a client, but what are you doing with Jira?

ok

1)smpt configured,so mails generating when issue are creating and update at jira-1

2)my pop server has to read that mails send to another jira-2 and issue should create and update at jira-2

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2012
A pop server is not reading mails. I think you should read and rethink your sentences twice before posting them. Maybe you should ask someone with better english language knowledge before posting. I think a lot of this thread is just misunderstanding. Your questions aren't easy to understand.
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2012

@shunmugam i might be wrong but i think this is not possible ,

are you trying to create a sync between two Jira instances ?

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2012
@Mizan synching is what I proposed yesterday to shunmugam: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/60363/integrating-jira-4-2-1-and-jira-4-3-3
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2012

> pop server has to read that mails send to another jira-2 and issue should create and update at jira-2

Right, well that's helped me understand, although it still seems you have a fundamental misunderstanding as to what a POP server is. It really would have helped if you'd explained what you're trying to do from the beginning instead of ignoring the question.

Anyway. A POP server does NOT "send to another". POP is for incoming mail only. You can not send mail out of a POP server, it goes out via the SMTP server. You've kept saying that you want to send mail from or by POP which is very confusing.

For the scenario of linking two Jira systems together via email, you need to set up:

1. An SMTP server for Jira-1 so that it can send mail out
  2. An email account on Jira-1 to send the mail as
  3. A POP (or IMAP) server for Jira-2 so that it can receive email
  4. An email account and mailbox for Jira-2 to read POP mail from
  5. A dummy user in Jira-1 with the email address set to the email you've given to Jira-2 to read
  6. Finally, a service in Jira-2 to process the emails as comments or new issues.

If you want bi-directional email, then you also need

1. Exactly the same setup, but reversed (SMTP for Jira-2, POP for Jira-1, and so on)
  2. To be REALLY careful that you don't set up a massive loop - Jira-1 sends email to Jira-2 on issue creation, Jira-2 creates new issue based on that, then sends email back to Jira-1 to say the new issue has been created, so Jira-1 reads the email and creates/comments on that, then sends an update to Jira-2, which reads the email and creates/comments, then sends an email to Jira-1, which rea.... I think you see that problem...
Venkatesh Bn June 12, 2012

Hi Nic,

Thanks for all the thoughts.

As per JIRA, POP is used to receive emails.

My questions is, when an email is received, can you answer me the following?

1) Where is the email stored?

2) Based upon the email will JIRA has the ability to do the following

a) updates the issue details i.e will it makes it to closed, work-in progress, re-open

Thanks.

sorry for the confusion.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2012

Yup, we're getting there...

1) The mail is not stored, it's processed and discarded

2) Actually, that's another question, which you've asked over in at https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/60363/integrating-jira-4-2-1-and-jira-4-3-3 - it's probably worth continuing in that thread, as the title and history are more relevant (this thread is more about the technical setup of incoming and outgoing mail, not what we do with it)

Suggest an answer