How to use Waterfall infrastructure project into Jira

Nate Anne June 18, 2015

How can I create and manage Infrastructure project in Jira?

Thanks

Nate

14 answers

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2015

The easy answer is "create a project and work with it".

For a more useful answer, you probably need to define roughly what you want from the project.  Sketch up your desired processes and convert them into workflows.  Work out what reports you want to be able to do, and use them to work out what fields and data you need in your project.  Think through how your users want to enter and amend the data.

1 vote
C
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2016

If you are looking for a MS Project flavor within JIRA, I really like BigPicture from software Planet.   I recommend looking to see if this is more along the "traditional" approach you are looking for.

http://bigpictureplugin.com

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/eu.softwareplant.bigpicture/server/overview

1 vote
Valerie Boudreau July 17, 2015

It doesn't seem like JIRA has transitioned to feeling like other than bug tracking. We don't like calling the tasks in our projects "issues". In IT when we hear "issue" we are on alert, it's very negative. I found where I can change the nomenclature of story, epic, initiative, theme, stream (though changing those changes them only in some locations but not all, which people found more confusing than before and we changed them back) - is there somewhere I can change "issue" to "task"?

1 vote
Valerie Boudreau July 15, 2015

I'm also having difficulty envisioning our IT Infrastructure projects in JIRA and in JIRA Portfolio. The concept of a Sprint is not useful to us. Nor is Scrum.

0 votes
Valerie Boudreau July 23, 2015

Good news. Thank you.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2015

Ok, on Cloud, I understand that you can't completely remove it. You should be able to disable it in the manage addons bit, but admins will continue to see the option in the menu to encourage you to use it, but none of the rest of the functions will appear to the users.

0 votes
Valerie Boudreau July 22, 2015

Our departmental pilot of JIRA starts tomorrow (Thursday 7/23) and I need to "get the Agile out" of our Cloud JIRA or it will be very confusing for the piloteers.

0 votes

Yes we're Cloud JIRA

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 22, 2015

If you have it on the list of add-ons, you have not yet removed it. What happens when you use the remove/elete option? (Totally different conversation if you're using Cloud JIRA though, is that the case?)

0 votes

Thank you Nic. I removed Agile from our trial instance but it won't go away. When I view it as an add-on in the list it asks if I want to add it back, but at the same time, it's still not gone when I open our instance of JIRA. Any advice? Thank you, Val

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2015

Off the top of my head, not one that shows much of that. Plain Jira has a simple heirarchy - Projects contain issues, and issues contain subtasks. When you add Agile, then you get Epics added, which contain issues (Story is just a type of issue really) Themes are quite simple in Jira + Agile, they're effectively labels which you can brush across any Epics, stories or issues you feel like. Portfolio adds inititatives, which are similar to themes, in that you can pick and apply them across what you want, but there's a lot more functionality built into them than just "label some stuff that we should look at together" (themes) because you can plan and allocate resource against them. Streams are a way of looking at your portfolio from a release point of view (but I'm personally very hazy on that, as I've not used them yet)

0 votes
Valerie Boudreau July 17, 2015

Thank you. Do you know of a graphic that shows the hierarchy of issues, projects, stories, epics, initiatives, themes, streams? We're trying to figure out how JIRA Portfolio layers over JIRA. I think if we can get a picture of that in our heads it will help us map nomenclature to our processes.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2015

Yes, it's true, it uses better language than most trackers, but it can be confusing. It consistently uses "issue" as a generic word to mean "something we need to do something about", and then implements a set of issue *types* to allow you to use whatever you like. If you don't like "issue" as a type, delete it. By default, there's already a "task" type in there.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2015

Then don't use them. Same answer as given before really - work out what you'd like and implement it. You don't have to use agile stuff if it's not needed.

Suggest an answer