How to use User Stories effectively in your Jira Project

Sarah Chapman May 9, 2021

Hi Jira Community, 

I am new to the concept of User Stories. I have only ever used tasks or subtasks for managing workloads, so have a bit of a dilemma of how to use them in my current project configuration. 

I have configured one Single Jira Project to be used to monitor all work for the department but split how people use issue types. 

• Development Team uses Epics, User Stories, Sub-Tasks
  • Analyst Team uses Epics, Tasks, and Sub-Tasks

Understandably, this is causing confusion particularly when linking Development and Analyst tickets as we are using issues types differently in the team. 

What I would like some feedback on is how the community would log the following work by issue types? Example below. 

• Regular Daily Reports (Epic)
  • Report Name to be delivered to user (Task)
  • Any tasks to maintain report (Sub-Task)

Could the above task be logged as a User Story? Does the fit the Jira definition? 

Thanks for your help, 

Sarah 

2 answers

0 votes
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2021

Hi @Sarah Chapman here is the brief on how it goes:

1. When you create a project, you will create high level epics>> break into user stories >> create tasks /subtask as per your project needs and per your Jira admin configuration settings.
  2. You can create any number of projects and get the high level epics >>  break into user stories >> create tasks /subtask and assign to the "Scrum team members".
  3. Now the questions comes, what report you need to present to the management?
  4. If you want to present epics report: In the Jira projects you need to head to the "roadmap" section and "export". This will show the time lines of the epic along with status.

roadmap report.jpg

5. If you want to present user stories, task, subtask reports: Go to the "issues section" and on the right pane>> click advanced report>> and select the issue type as stories/ task/ bug.

adv.search.jpg

6. If you want specific filters, you may create a custom dashboard. In the above screenshot, click on dashboard>> Create dashboard>> start adding the gadgets as per your choice (you may choose Jira work management here)>> Once you add the same, you can share that dashboard to your management or can discuss with internal team.

7. Don't forget to head to the "reports" section and look for inbuilt Jira reports that may just fit your needs.

8. Finally, if you feel all the above are a bit confusing, simply head to "Atlassian market place" . In the above screenshot, click on "apps" and choose "find new apps". Search for an app that suits your project needs.

End result: by installing the plugin from the market place, you can play with all the data and make reports as per your choice (Epics/ story/ task/sub task/ bugs/ test runs/ roadmaps levels).

I believe my reply might given you ways to explore your Jira projects and reports.

Stay safe and stay healthy.

0 votes
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2021

Hi @Sarah Chapman welcome to the Atlassian community.

The answer to your query is a bit lengthy and can't fit in few words. Infact, your solo query can be turned to an individual course on Udemy/ LinkedIn/ Pluralsight. 

Having said, may I request you to go through these: User stories link, Use epics in Jira and Issue types in Jira 

Stay healthy and stay safe.

Sarah Chapman May 9, 2021

Thanks @G subramanyamReally useful article. I think the challenge for me is trying to picture how this applies to the analyst's tasks in the team. It looks like any request we get from the user to create a new report could essentially be a User Story which we can then add exact requirements to after discussion and would have sub-tasks off that if required. This would work well to align ourselves with the development for larger pieces of work. 

Out of curisoity, Initiative and themes, does this come as standard with Jira cloud? I can't see an option for this? 

Like G subramanyam likes this

Suggest an answer