How to use Project Versions Going Forward

Nigel Farmer July 2, 2013

We are fairly new to Jira, and are about to start our 4th Sprint using the "new" boards. We are now looking to get more help with Release Planning from Jira eg release burndown charts. To get a release burndown chart it seems we need to use Project Versions. We have not been using versions till now so everything is under "Issues without versions".

If we create a "Version 1" we can move everything to "Version 1" but what should we do with all the stories and sub-tasks from the previous sprints?

We have a test setup, for which I moved all the items from the backlog and sprint into "Version 1" completed a sprint and its not clear how If and how I can get a release burndown chart based on velocity. Under Project->Overview->Agile im not seeing anything that looks useful for the version under Info, hours, issues, flow and the "Chart Board" charts look like they are based on the "classic" boards and I cant see a chart velocity.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

1 answer

1 vote
Nigel Farmer July 11, 2013

Found this out on our own. fixVersion is the field on past sprint items that needs to be updated. The stuff under Project->Overview->Agile relates to the old boards and not the scrum boards. The version report from Reports on the scrum boards should be used see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Viewing+the+Version+Report

Suggest an answer