How to use JQL to order a project by issuetype, status within epics?

Gary Darer October 2, 2017

This is sort of abstract as I'm trying to solve a rather specific problem for my QA team.

We have a Jira project for the product our company is working on and within that project are multiple epics > stories > bugs, etc.

The triage team is looking for a JQL filter preferably expressed as a pie chart that is ordered by Epics where if they click on an epic, the search results would show all of the issues in that epic ordered first by the Stories, then the bugs and other issue types.

They also want to know if it's possible to go another level deeper and organize each issue type by the status of those issues.

Ex: Epic "ABC" displays stories "1", "2", "3", where "1" is Open, "2" is in progress, and "3" is closed. Followed by bugs "a", "b", "c", "d", where "a" & "b" are open, "c" is in test ready, and "d" is closed.

I obviously cannot share my current attempt at a filter due to propriety of information but any hints would be SUPER appreciated!

1 answer

1 vote
Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2017

Hi Gary,

Be careful with language (in my case is "Enlace de épica" in)

epic link in (Ex-101,Am-102,Ple-103) AND status in (open, in progress, closed) ORDER BY status

This will show you the issues in those epics and in these statuses.

Also remember to use epic link as statistic type.

Gary Darer October 3, 2017

This could help a lot, I'll try it out. Thank you!

Suggest an answer