How to use Google Apps user base when user names are different in Jira?

Damien Chappatte July 3, 2012

We tried to synchronize Jira users with Google Apps users, but unfortunatly some user names are different (but have the same email adress). For example, its "john.doe" in Google Apps but only "john" in Jira. So after synch, users with different user names are duplicated in Jira:

- john.doe: Google User (need activation)

- john: External User

john.doe is the one we'd like to use, but john is the one with issues assigned, comments, etc. Apparently it's not possible to merge users, nor is it possible to rename a user (we could delete john.doe and then rename john). Also we don't want to rename the users in Google Apps.

Is there any way to solve this problem? I know I could bulk re-assign issues, but I don't think I could re-assign other things like comments?

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Bastiaan Jansen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2012

I'm affraid that the bulk move of issues is currenlty the only way Damien. Indeed in Jira it is not possible to rename a user account.
Therefor we advise to indeed bulk move all assigned and reported issues to the google user and delete the external user.

The comments will indeed not be transferred, they will remain and the username will be greyed out but still show the original username.

Suggest an answer