How to upload a JAR file of an add-on for cloud JIRA

thilini perera January 3, 2017

When submitting an add-on to market place i noticed that for both server and cloud version the .jar file can be submitted.

The same .jar file can be used to test in server version

But when i try to upload the add-on as a jar file in cloud version, it does not accept it. 

2 answers

0 votes
Samruddhi Bhusari December 3, 2023

Hi I want to install my Jira plugin on Jira cloud. How can I do it ?

0 votes
Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2017

You cannot upload a JAR file to the Atlassian Marketplace to be installed in Cloud instances. Only Atlassian Connect add-ons can be installed on Atlassian Cloud instances; they use descriptor files.

See: connect.atlassian.com

Dasuni Kumarapperuma January 3, 2017

Hi Robert, So if I choose to upload just the .jar file, the marketplace will not allow the cloud instances to install the plugin?

Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2017

That is correct. .jar files are built using Plugins 2. Atlassian Connect add-ons on the other hand can be installed in Cloud.

pushkar pn August 18, 2020

@Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_  I've build a jira plugin and can I upload it in my jira cloud environment ? Is this feature available now? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2020

No, the "apps" framework for Cloud is totally different to the Server/DC one.  This is not going to change.

You need to write a different type of App, one suitable for Cloud.

Surabhi Mishra August 18, 2020

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- , please could you provide appropriate link we can follow to create Cloud suitable apps and how we can integrate that app with our JIRA cloud instance. Thank you!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2020

Start at https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/getting-started/

Bear in mind that Cloud and Server are very different - you will probably be able to reuse some of the logic in your Server app, but the frameworks are so different, you won't be able to just "convert" - you should treat this as an entirely new app.

Like Surabhi Mishra likes this
Mike Whalen October 17, 2020

Given the end of life announcement for supporting server licenses, is there ANY plugin to app migration methodology or utility?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2020

No, you need to move to apps that provide the same functionality on Cloud.

Some apps can take data from their server version to their Cloud version, but that is entirely a function of the app, it's not something you can generically code for.

Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2023

@thilini perera  has this been resolved?  If so, I'm wondering if you could mark it as answered for us.  Thx.

Suggest an answer