How to upgrade PHP on Apache 2.2 for JIRA 4.3.4 running on Windows Platform

Eric Vergara July 18, 2013

I ran a vulnerability scan on our server running JIRA 4.3.4 and receive the following finding:

Synopsis: The remote web server uses a version of PHP that is affected by

multiple vulnerabilities.

Plugin Output

Version source : Server: Apache/2.2.21 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.2.21 OpenSSL/1.0.0e PHP/5.3.8 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.1

Installed version : 5.3.8

Fixed version : 5.3.27

Our version of XAMPP is 1.7.7. I would like to find out if JIRA 4.3.4 supports the latest version of XAMPP (1.8.3) and what will be the appropriate procedures to perform the upgrade.

Thanks,

Eric

1 answer

0 votes
AafrinA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2014

Hi Eric,

You can manually upgrade the php version using the instruction available here for XAMPP. My advice would be not to break the package of XAMPP instead update it as whole package.

The JIRA's latest version was tested in the Xampp (1.8.2) and WIN 7 (64bit). It works without any issue during the time of testing. The major changelog between Xampp (1.8.2) and Xampp (1.8.3) is the PHP version and it shouldn't affect the JIRA installation.

For the upgrading process, you can download and place the latest XAMPP in separate folder than the current ones and perform all the basic setup including enabling the proxy module, adding virtual host and other steps mentioned here to intergrate JIRA with Apache. Once all the setup is completed, you can shutdown the old XAMPP instance and start the new XAMPP instance. If all the setup was done correctly, then the JIRA will be successfully linked to the new XAMPP instance.

Suggest an answer