How to update parent customfield when a sub-task is deleted?

fbeck_br September 25, 2014

Suppose I have a project with several issuetypes (standard and sub-tasks).

I implemented a sub-task post funtion to copy a field value to parent issue, so in my dashboard I do not need to filter sub-tasks because the information I need is in the parent field. This information is updated according sub-task changed state.

When assignee delete the subtask, I have an inconsistent value in the parent issue.

Its possible to clear the parent field when the sub-task is deleted.

Other option I guess is to implement DELETE as a sub-task workflow postfunction, remove permission to delete from MORE menu.

in this case, this change (permission) can impact other issuetypes?

is there any other solution?

1 answer

1 vote
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2014

Using the Delete option works like the Edit button.  It's not a workflow transition, so there are no types of automation available for those operations.  It does beg the question "why do you allow people to delete sub-tasks in the first place?" An alternative would be to create an "Abandon" workflow transition for sub-tasks that closes the issue, automatically sets the resolution to "Won't Fix" and updates or clears the parent issue field.  The result is the same as deleting the issue, so it seems unnecessary to actually use the delete function. You also won't have to wonder what issue ABC-123 originally was when you audit your instance.

fbeck_br October 16, 2014

Hi Dave, I tried to create an "Abandon" workflow transition... suposing it is a post-function. But I cannot found any post-function where I can delete the issue (by workflow button). Is there some addon to do it?

Suggest an answer