How to update Sub-tasks via JIRA importer

rashmi April 6, 2015

hi

I am using External System Import feature to update an existing Sub-task. My goal i sto update a Sub-task w.r.t it's Parent Id. 

Before: A sub-task SAM-1 has a parent story PAR-1

After Import : SAM-1 has parent story as PAR-2

My csv looks like this  :

Issue Id, issue type, Summary, Parent Id

SAM-1 , Sub-task , "hello world", PAR-2

When I import the CSV, I get the following message : "1 of 1 issues have been skipped because they already exist in destination projects."

I also tried mapping Issue Id to issue Key during the import column mapping, but I dont see the update happening. 

Please help.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2015

This sounds like it is wrong, and I think you need to re-explain the problem more clearly

You say 

> Before: A sub-task SAM-1 has a parent story PAR-1

No.  No it does not.  SAM-1 cannot possibly have a parent story of PAR-1.  Subtasks belong to the same project as their parent and are always higher numbered.  So SAM-2 could be a child of SAM-1, but if your JIRA really does have what you describe, then you've broken it, and badly.  You need to forget CSV updates for now and repair that before you can do anything else.

I'm hoping what you've actually done is just written this question with bad data though.  If that is correct, could you explain what you have really got and what the actual parent/child ids are and what is in your CSV

R S April 7, 2015

hi Nic,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, my data is incorrect. Let me give you the valid data:

Before: Sub-task ST-17 has a parent story ST-8

After Import : ST-17 should have a parent story ST-6

My CSV looks like this:

Issue Id, issue type, Summary, Parent Id

ST-17 , Sub-task , "hello world", ST-6

I have tried importing this CSV using the following column mapping (2 different import trials)

Trial 1 Mapping : Issue id -> Issue Id

Trial 2 Mapping : issue id -> Issue Key

But with neither trials, I am seeing the parent Id getting updated to ST-6.

Please note that ST-17, ST-8, ST-6 etc are already existing issues in JIRA. 

Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2015

Ah, that makes more sense. Problem is that the CSV importer can not change the parent issue of a subtask.

R S April 7, 2015

is it possible to drop a link between 2 issues from JIRA UI ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 7, 2015

Totally off-topic, but yes, click delete.

Suggest an answer