How to unlock locked accounts in AD with Jira Service Desk

Vinzent Decker November 27, 2020

It happens regularly that a user locks his Windows-account by mistake, then creates a ticket and I have to unlock that user manually. Is there a way to automate this process? So when the ticket is created Jira contacts the active directory and says: "hey someone is locked please unlock him". I searched for quite a while now but it seems no one else has asked this question or even has a solution. I would be grateful for your help.

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2020
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2020

Thanks Andrew, I was pretty sure I'd seen one that does it, but couldn't immediately remember!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2020

Jira does not have the ability to unlock users that been locked in an active-directory, as it doesn't really have an analogous state for a user (disabled is an internal thing for the local Jira system, and "too many failed logins" just leads to a captcha.  It's relying on AD to know more about locks and whether someone can log in)

So, to do this, your Jra "hey, please unlock X" call would have to be coded for you.  Either a script that can connect to AD and issue the "please unlock" call, or maybe an app that adds the function to Jira (check the marketplace for advanced user handling apps, or ones that do clever things with AD - I've used some that get AD properties for example)

0 votes
Vinzent Decker November 30, 2020

Thank you very much for your answers!

Suggest an answer