How to uninstall JIRA Service Desk

George Lewe (LSY)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2015

Hi all,

we had installed JIRA Service Desk but decided not to use it. We uninstalled the plugin but are still stuck with custom fields, link types and such, obviously related to it. We are searching for a detailed documentation about what we can safely remove/delete after uninstalling it.

Is there such a documentation?

Best regards,
George

6 answers

3 votes
Joel Brown January 26, 2017

Navigate to: admin/billing/applications

click "deactivate" next to service desk

Jamie Gerace June 24, 2019

Worked for me, thanks!

Like Gyver Chang likes this
1 vote
Jonas Sieber January 4, 2017

We would also like to remove the Service Desk Trial Version from our JIRA Cloud, and I find it MOST annoying that this is not possible! Is there still no possibility to remove this add-on completely from our account?

0 votes
Sarah A
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 14, 2019

Hi everyone, 

If you are getting a message that Jira cannot be upgraded because it wants you to upgrade Service Desk first, or that you have to put in a valid license for SD before you can login, but your trial of Service Desk (aka SD) has been uninstalled without uninstalling the license key first, then here's what you need to do (no $ needed!):

1. Download the SD installer. 

2. Reinstall SD. 

3. Go to my.atlassian.com.

4. Click New Evaluation License (we let you have up to 3 for the same server).

5. Go to your Jira landing page.

If you get the one that says you can't start Jira until you give Service Desk a license, put in your new license. 

If you can still get into Jira then go into the Settings -> Applications page and put in the new license.  

Now you can log in and/or upgrade. 

NOW what you should do is go to the Applications page, DELETE the trial license for SD, then uninstall SD again.  This will keep it from barking about SD licensing in the future because there will be no license in the database anymore.  

For reference: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/startup-check-jira-licensing-issues-888257801.html

Cheers!

Sarah Amann

Jira Support Engineer

Sarah A
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 14, 2019

Also, I do realize that this does not address how to purge Service Desk leftovers in the database, it was just meant to be helpful for those who are being prevented from upgrading Jira or logging into Jira post-upgrade.  

Thanks!

Ryan Skousen April 22, 2019

How can we purge Service Desk Leftovers from the DB?

Antti Seppänen May 15, 2019

This is something I'd like to know, too. We once had a 3 user starter license for Jira Service Desk but since then Jira has been upgraded multiple times and at some point Service Desk was uninstalled. Now we are planning to take Service Desk into use with a much more agents but the leftovers of the old installation are blocking us from using Service Desk. To be specific, newest version will just complain that we must first upgrade to SD < 3.2 before upgrading to newest. And of course, SD 3.1.9 requires an old version of Jira. I really don't want to downgrade our Jira just to upgrade old, unnecessary demo data.

Anastasia Robey August 18, 2020

Add me onto the list of people who want to know how to remove these custom fields.  Doesn't seem to be an actual answer anywhere.

Anonymous September 16, 2020

Hi, we have a similar problem: Currently we are working with the stack Jira, Jira Servicedesk, Confluence and Insight. Unfortunately, an error occurred during the installation of the service desk. Normally we work with the English language software modules. But the service desk was installed in German. Therefore there are e.g. various statuses in the system in both English and German. This messes up the complete process logic and confuses the employees. Is there any experience and best practices on how best to correct such an error?

0 votes
Phuc Phan Hong October 22, 2018

This is really bad, the jira service desk charged me 200$ and I could not found a way to uninstall it, I was mistake to click install before and did not use anything!

dennish_dcsorg_com October 31, 2018

The above seemed to work  for me. My bill estimate changed and SD is no longer listed

Under admin, manage subscriptions, I could press delete. I got warnings that everything related to SD will be deleted, so this should work...

0 votes
Dave Bosman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2017

Go to JIRA administration ==> applications

Click uninstall under JIRA Service desk

image2017-1-19 8:49:40.png

David Downey October 12, 2017

has anyone been successful in fully removing JIRA Service desk using the uninstall mentioned above?  

Pål Frogner Hansen March 12, 2018

Under admin, manage subscriptions, I could press delete. I got warnings that everything related to SD will be deleted, so this should work...

Like Andrea Urban likes this
0 votes
Rodrigo Rosa
Atlassian Team
October 29, 2015

Hello George,

This is our documentation about how to uninstall JIRA Service Desk: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/How+to+remove+or+disable+a+Service+Desk

George Lewe (LSY)
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 12, 2015

This article is unfortunately not sufficient. Just disabling the plugin and deleting the project is not enough to remove all traces of SD from JIRA. We have even uninstalled the plugin and deleted the project, but still there are link types, custom fields and more objects like that still floating around. Can you please provide a list of all configuration objects that the SD plugin creates when it is installed. That would help identifying and removing them manually.

Ross McKenrick May 2, 2016

@Rodrigo Sogari [Atlassian]: I agree with @George Lewe. Your answer does not address the question. We also installed JIRA Service Desk and have decided not to use it. The post that you reference only explains how to disable service desk for a specific project or to delete a service desk project. How do we uninstall Service Desk entirely–including all the related custom fields, issues, issue type schemes, security roles, etc?

Deleted user May 24, 2016

I share the notion and looking for a way to uninstall SD altogether but there seems to be no means for doing that

Jon Sword June 20, 2016

Hi @Rodrigo Sogari [Atlassian],

I agree with the above comments. I am trying to move a project from one instance to another and the project import is blocking me from importing because my project "requires" the Service Desk custom fields.  Service Desk has been removed from the instance for months!

BruceK July 2, 2016

I also agree with the above comments.  There should be a method for uninstalling Service Desk.  I tried to remove Service Desk about a year ago and did not succeed.  For other reasons we now need to remove Service Desk and there still seems to be no way to accomplish this.

Zoran Birač July 15, 2016

This Service Desk seems to be blocking our upgrade to JIRA 7.0

It will say the licence is too old and gives some options to remove it. But that seems to break the upgrade and leaves me with an unfixable error (and a broken system)

There was a problem adding Upgrade Task Drops the entityproperty_identity index in entity_property table to the Upgrade History. This means the state of the system may be out of sync with the upgrade history, which could result in missed downgrade tasks for future exports.

I cannot find any traces to remove it. But it needs to be gone. 

Like Alex Schuster likes this
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 29, 2016

If you're still seeing this issue you should open a Support issue, they can help you with database inconsistencies. 

Zhiyan Xu September 20, 2016

I'm researching the topic of "if we decide not to use service desk, is there a way to uninstall it completely or we need to rebuilt our DEV environment (our sandbox and initial configuration place)". Please, George, Ross, Joh, Zoran, Ran, Bruce, eventually did you go the route of rebuilt your DEV environment including server setup?

Dennis Klieverik October 18, 2016

URGENT !! We had a look at service desk 3 or so years ago, decided not to use it and now after many upgrades I'm stuck with it in JIRA 7.2.

Please tell me how to remove the plugin altogether.

(stuff can stay in the database aslong as it doesnt break things.)

Anders Lantz December 21, 2016

Still nothing?

Suggest an answer