How to tune permission so every user can log hours for any user?

Olaf Donk November 12, 2014

We like to be able to log hours for any other user, but currently only the administrators/site-admins can do this. In more detail: f I press 'w' to log hours I can choose any user from a picklist, but users without admin privileges cannot. 

We don't want to make everyone admin, but we do want to be able to register hours for one another. We do this reduce the administrative workload around meetings and other multi-person items without loosing transparant time-tracking.

I was expecting to be able to set this in the permissions but so far to no avail. (Every developer can create worklogs and edit all worklogs.) Does anyone know how to tune this? Thanks! 

1 answer

0 votes
Paula Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 12, 2014

Hi Olaf,

A possible workaround is the usage of Tempo plugin, which is already bundled to JIRA OnDemand. The plugin allows you to log work  from the board and select the user in the Log Work form. See this blog post for details: http://blog.tempoplugin.com/2013/tempo-timesheets-tip-of-the-month-time-tracking-with-greenhopper/
More info regarding Tempo plugin can be found here: https://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/display/TEMPO/Logging+Work

Hope this works for you.

Olaf Donk November 12, 2014

Thanks Paula for your help! We are actually using the Tempo plugin and the problem is that the user dropdown doesn't show all users. It does for the two admins, but the users from the 'developers' group can only pick themselves. The developers-group is entitled to 'edit all worklogs' and 'work on issues' in the project settings and also have the 'browse users' permission as a global permission (useful links, thanks!) so I figured the permissions should be fine. Am I overlooking something or do you know something else I should check? Thanks!

Suggest an answer