How to trigger a transition when al sub-tasks are resolved

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2012

Guys

Is there a way to trigger a transition in the parent issue when ALL sub-tasks are resolved.

I added a post function in the sub-task workflow to trigger the transition 931 ( let's say) over the resolve step.

Then went to the parent workflow and edited transition 931 with a sub-task blocking condition. Just to make sure that the transition happens only when all Sub-tasks are resolved.

It doesn't work as I expect.

Any idea ? I use jira 5.1.3.

Thanks, Vishnu.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2012
Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2012

Thanks a lot Norman.

But, is there any work around in JIRA 5.1.3 ? I not that keen to install plugins.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2012

Without a plugin or writing your own code, no.

I can understand your concern about installing plugins because it makes things harder to upgrade, could add instability and adds more complexity, but Jira is designed to be extended so not all features will be in Jira by default. I took some plugins off my environment for some of these reasons.

This is one of the few plugins I think you should consider using after doing your own homework.

1) How long has the plugin been around and being maintained?
2) Does the plugin author respond to issues found in his plugin?
3) How many users have downloaded it and what they say about the plugin?
4) How active is the plugin author involved in the Atlassian ecosystem (or Jira itself)?
5) Does the plugin solve your immediate issue and provide potential future solutions?
6) Is the cost of the plugin worth the functionality it provides?
7) Whatever other questions, I should have asked but could not think of at this time.

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2012

Thank you for your time.

2 votes
Deleted user October 24, 2012

I am sorry, not a validator in the workflow but a condition will do the trick. It will look like this:

All sub-tasks must have one of the following statuses to allow parent issue transitions: Resolved

Carsten Beck-Astrup October 25, 2012

I think he asks for somekind of automation, so the parent issue automoves to a new status ie. all subtasks are approved then the parent can be moved to "Ready" automaticly.

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2012

Yup, thats what I look for. You have got any workaround ?

0 votes
Deleted user October 24, 2012

Build a validator in the workflow, which allows you to move forward, only if all subtask have reached their ``resolved state.

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 24, 2012

I need this to happen automatically. Also, I don't there an equivalent validator for this.

Suggest an answer