How to translate results and status in jira database?

daniel santigosa January 17, 2013

Hello, I need the issue translates to my languaje (Spanish) from the database.

I can translate with the jira tools but i can't locate the tables with the translates.

Can you tell me the table where i can find the translates in jira database?

3 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2013

@Jaime Rey - yes, the translations for resolution, status and issue type are in the database, I was trying to point out that without knowing what the poster was trying to translate, we couldn't really answer. If it was not those, then the answer "they are in the language packs" and not the database is the answer.

For the internal translations, like most arbitrary stuff, it's in the properties tables.

For example, translating "Open", in English, into "Lister" (description "vending machine technician") gives you:

PROPERTYENTRY: 19083,'Status',1,'jira.translation.status1.en_UK',5

PROPERTYSTRING: 19083,'Lister\u000vending machine technician'

Jaime Rey January 20, 2013

@Nic Brough Thanks again for your answer.

In my first answer i said that same thing, and I quote myselft:

The translations we are looking for are the ones that the program itself gives the possibility to translate, like statuses and issuetypes

:-) I'll proceed to validate the answer, but has a good loking.

Thanks again!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2013

Apologies, I didn't see that comment. Still, I managed to remember the answer in the end :-)

daniel santigosa January 20, 2013

Thanks a million for your answer

Xi DUAN July 31, 2013

Hi Nic, I'm stucked by the same problem. I want to get the translation of the "resolution", "status" and "issuetype", but what I got is that all the translations are duplicated in the field. Is this normal ?

2 votes
Jaime Rey January 20, 2013

I may be deeply wrong, but i've been translating jira before, and you need to restart the application in order to see the updates.

This comes supported by the fact that the classes itself have it's own methods to return what is called "NameTranslation", as in this case:

http://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/4.2/com/atlassian/jira/issue/IssueConstantImpl.html#getNameTranslation()

http://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/4.2/com/atlassian/jira/issue/IssueConstantImpl.html#getDescTranslation()

Some examples of the translations we are trying to locate are:

Statuses:

• Closed --> Cerrado
  • Open --> Abierto
  • Blocked --> Bloqueado

Resolutions:

• Fixed --> Resuelto
  • Duplicated --> Duplicado
  • Won't fix --> Fuera de alcance
0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2013

If you want to translate what is displayed, use InProduct translation - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.translations.jira.inproduct

daniel santigosa January 18, 2013

Thanks four your answer, but i need the location of the translates in the jira database.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2013

A lot of the translations are in the language packs, and not the database.

They've changed a bit recently - could you tell us exactly what translations you are looking for? I mean give us an example of a field or piece of text that needs translating, what you've got in the database for it and what you see on screen? (A screenshot would be lovely if you can)

Jaime Rey January 19, 2013

I'm in the same situation. The translations we are looking for are the ones that the program itself gives the possibility to translate, like statuses and issuetypes. Having in account that you can change this strings using the configuration, we think this data have to be somewhere in the database, why I can't find where...

daniel santigosa January 19, 2013

I need exactly the same than Jaime Rey.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2013

I am not sure whether you read what Nic said. The data is not in database, it is in language packs and if you need to translate, you need to replace the language pack. The easiest way for getting this done is to use the InProduct Translation plugin I mentioned earlier.

Suggest an answer