How to transition parent issue after all subtasks are done?

Sven Gehrke January 7, 2017

I can't find any sample how to achieve this using JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions. Could someone please provide some Groovy expression for this to work?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
David _old account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2017

Hi Sven,

you actually don't need Groovy for that. You need to use the Transition Parent issue post-function in conjunction with the Subtask blocking Condition:

• on the workflow of the subtasks (which can be shared with the parent issues if needed), you put the Transition Parent issue post-function on the "Done" transition to trigger the "Done" transition on the parent (don't worry, if the issue isn't a subtask and thus has no parent, the post-function will do nothing)
  • on the workflow of the parent issues, you put the Subtask blocking condition on the "Done" transition, specifying that all subtasks must be in the "Done" status

Hope this helps,

David

raphy_thomas August 15, 2019

Hello

i want to move the parent issue when all subtasks are moved on transition.

so from To do to Reviewd, From reviewed to implemented, and so on.

Can you please write it down for me how to paste it in condition field?

{{Issuetype == sub-task | Status == Reviewed }} but how do i say ALL SUBTASKS???

Thanks

Like Nika Melikidze likes this
Anil Kumar July 7, 2022

Hi @raphy_thomas ,

Did you got the answer for this?

raphy_thomas July 7, 2022

No, still waiting

0 votes
Shahrul Saifuddin July 17, 2022

hi Sven

you can use post function (Transition Parent Issue Post-function) JMWE

select transition name/id

and tick on Conditional execution

def type = issue.getIssueType().getName();
def status = issue.status.name;

if(type == "Sub-task" && status == "Done"){
return true
}

Fiqi Ferdiansyah July 11, 2023

Hi sharul,

does it work ? 

looks like i have the same problem

0 votes
Mariami May 20, 2020

Hello, I can't find --Transition Parent issue post-function in my JIRA software. 

Radhika Vijji _Innovalog_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2020

Hi Mariami,

You need Jira Misc Workflow Extensions add-on in your instance to see the post-function in the list of post-functions.

Regards,

Radhika

Mariami May 20, 2020

Thanks but, is it possible without workflow extensions add-on?

Radhika Vijji _Innovalog_
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 20, 2020

Hi Mariami,

Since you are on the Cloud, you might want to look into "Automation rules" to configure this. Else, you will need a third-party app like JMWE, Scriptrunner, etc (check Marketplace for other apps) to implement this use case.

Regards,

Radhika

Nicolas Massouh July 17, 2020

Hi @Radhika Vijji _Innovalog_

It's a great news but I'm looking for in Automation rules for Jira Cloud and I didn't find the right way to solved this issue.

For now, I cannot get all subtasks and set the status change of my user story when the last subtask has moved. :( 

Do you have an advice ?  

Regards, 

Nicolas

Suggest an answer