How to transform a custom text field in a URL it is displayed by Jira?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2012

I have a custom field that contains that ID or an issue from another system but I want it to displayed as an URL instead as an simple text field.

How can I do this in Jira?

Remark: the field itself is not a full URL, it is just an ID and I want to add the rest of the url.

Update: I think this may be related to https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Renderers but I am not sure how I can implement this.

I do have Jira 4.4 and the specified Renderers link does not appear at all in the interface!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2012

Create a plugin and add this inside <atlassian-plugin>...</atlassian-plugin>

&lt;customfield-type key="textfield" name="Scale Id"
                      class="com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.impl.RenderableTextCFType"&gt;
        &lt;description&gt;Scale Id&lt;/description&gt;
        &lt;resource type="velocity" name="view" location="templates/view-scaleid.vm"/&gt;
        &lt;!--&lt;resource type="velocity" name="view" location="templates/plugins/fields/view/view-basictext.vm"/&gt;--&gt;
        &lt;resource type="velocity" name="edit" location="templates/plugins/fields/edit/edit-maxlengthtext.vm"/&gt;
        &lt;resource type="velocity" name="xml" location="templates/plugins/fields/xml/xml-basictext.vm"/&gt;
    &lt;/customfield-type&gt;

This is the {{view-scaleid.vm}} template:

#if ($value)
 &lt;a href="http://example.com/browse/$!value.toString()"&gt;
 #if (${displayParameters.excel_view})
     $textutils.br($textutils.htmlEncode($!value.toString(), false))
   #else
     $!value.toString()
   #end
 &lt;/a&gt;
 #end

Still, if you already have the field added, you will have to change its type inside the database, table is named customfields.

Suggest an answer