How to transfer the content of a field in one Issue Type to another issue type?

Thomas Varghese September 19, 2012

We have two issue types - TestCase & TestRun. Both these issue types have a field by name 'TestSteps'.

We create TestCase issue type first. Then when we create the TestRun issue type. When we create TestRun issue type, we would like to see all the content of TestSteps field in TestRun issue type also. now it is not coming like that. So we have to type the whole content again. May I know how this can be implemented in JIRA so that we can avoid typing the whole content again.

thanks in advance

Thomas

1 answer

0 votes
Jeff Scarsbrook September 19, 2012

Am I reading your question to say that you create two separate issues. But, when you create the TestRun issue, you want the value from TestSteps field that was entered during the TestCase issue entered in the TestSteps field for the TestRun issue? I don't believe that there is a way to do that in the OnDemand version easily.

If you're looking for a workaround that may work, consider setting up the TestRun issue as a sub-task of TestCase. Then on the Create transition, you can create a Post function of Set Field Value From Parent for the TestSteps field. That way, when you create the TestRun sub-task, it will copy the value of the TestSteps field on the parent (TestCase) into the TestSteps field of the child (TestRun). The downside is that the data will not show up in the TestSteps field on the Create screen. However, when you click the "Create" button, it will automatically move the data for that field. So, when you view the TestRun issue in the View Issue window, the TestSteps field will be populated. Also, be aware that the automatic population for the TestSteps field from the parent will overwrite anything entered during the Create Screen for the TestRun issue, but that can be handled as a "training issue" for your users. I hope this helps some.

Suggest an answer