How to trace unexpected changes in issue types?

Pascal Rieux June 27, 2016

Hi,

On JIRA 6.4.6, we are currently facing a situation where a default issue type name is unexpectidly changed to another (and existing) issue type name. After having activated TRACE logging on the {{com.atlassian.jira.web.action.admin}} package, nothing appeared in the logs.

Is there any way to find from where (add-on? automation? other?) this change comes from?

Note that, be it on the database side or from the REST API, everything looks fine, names are kept unchanged.

This problem "only" appears on the GUI of JIRA, admin, issue filters, etc.

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Pascal Rieux June 27, 2016

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your quick answer. Nothing (no action from another admin) is shown in admin logs plus when trying to manually set the "Bug" issue type to "Customer Bug" it leads to an error (and I have full admin rights). Not to say it seems to be impossible as an admin.

When such an issue happens, it impacts filters or searches of all users (searching for "issuetype=Bug" leads to 0 issue), but displaying a single issue is ok (the correct issue type is shown)

Pascal

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2016

So you're saying something is renaming the issue type?  Not translating it or mapping it, but physically changing it?

What's the error when you are trying to rename Bug to customer bug?

Pascal Rieux June 28, 2016

Right, no translation or mapping, it looks like a simple renaming. When I try to replay a similar change through the GUI (authenticated as an admin), I reach the following error message:

An issue type with this name already exists.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2016

Ok, so you already have something called "customer bug".  Can you try a rename to "freds bug" or something different?

Pascal Rieux June 28, 2016

I tried this also but it is leading to a rename to "Customer Bug" again. To note, in an issue type Scheme, this issue type is always shown as "Bug".

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 28, 2016

I'm sorry, I don't understand "leading to a rename to".  When you change the name of the "customer bug" and change it to "fred", what exactly happens when you click save?

Pascal Rieux June 29, 2016

When I modify the wrong "Customer Bug" issue type (the one that should be "Bug", having the ID=1) to e.g. "Fred", after clicking save, it is indeed changed, but a while later if I refresh the issue type page, it is changed again to "Customer Bug".

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2016

Right, so there's actually nothing wrong with the renaming.

Your problem is something else renaming it back later.  You'll need to check through your addons and services to see what is doing this.

Pascal Rieux June 29, 2016

Right, this is the track we will follow next, some add-ons were added recently (including Script Runner, btw wink)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2016

It would be easy to write a script that changes the name of an issue.  Might be harder to hide it from the audit log, but that should be possible too.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2016

Sounds like someone has set up a "translation" of some sort.

I'd check the admin audit log to see if someone is messing with the issue type definitions, but also, work through exact cases - where is it displaying correctly and incorrectly?  Is it by user?

Suggest an answer