How to take backup of JIRA to create a new Pre-prod environment.

santosh srirangam October 29, 2015

Hello,

We're about to create a pre-prod environment for JIRA with existing production data. Below are few of our doubts and could someone help us out here:

1. If we take complete backup of Database from DB server and , HOME  directory, Installation Directory backup from App server and restore on the new environment, will that help?
  2. I understand that we can take backup of JIRA from UI i.e., Website  (default XML backup which is available in JIRA Admin) and also understand that there should not be any USER activity while backup.    How to achieve this?
  3. How can we access JIRA site after bringing down Tomcat services or how to stop users from accessing JIRA 
  4. Does restoring XML backup's help up bringing up the Application, yes we would create Database for Pre-prod JIRA.
  5. Can we take backup using JIRA UI, by disabling JIRA User access to all the users and user groups, is so will that backup be an appropriate backup or will the backup be a corrupted if any user tries to access the website?

Let us know which approach would be simple and robust to achieve this?

WE DON'T HAVE ANY PLUGINS related to scripting or backups. 

Regards,

Santosh.

1 answer

1 vote
Alex Conde October 29, 2015

I think you should find an answer to all those questions in Establishing Staging Server Environments for JIRA.

Suggest an answer