How to subscribe a mailing list to a JQL filter in Jira?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2013

We encountered the folowing problem in our JIRA installation, the inability to subscribe another user to a saved filter.

We are using Crowd as backend, which is connected to AD/LDAP and we do have a strict policy on not creating crowd accounts at all. So we sync all accounts from corporate AD, where we obviously we do not have write access.

In order to overcome some limitations on Jira we used a trick to convince JIRA (or Crowd) to see some corporate mailing lists as users. This does allow us to assign tickets to some special Exchange mailing lists.

Now, the problem is that we were not able to assign filters / subscription to these users. Obviously because these are "fake" users, we cannot login as them and as far as we know, JIRA does not allow you to subscribe somebody else to a filter.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andrei [errno]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2013

you could either "su" into those fake users (see ScriptRunner plugin) and "subscribe"

or you could use https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.riadalabs.jira.plugins.notificationassistant (an excellent plugin, by the way)

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2013

You will have to create dummy groups and then subscribe the filters to those groups. But most importantly, the users in the groups should be valid JIRA users (with "JIRA Users" browse permission) or else JIRA will ignore those recipients.

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2013

Thank you Jobin. While I do not fancy the idea of creating jira groups just for this, especially because this would mean more administrative tasks, I will have to accept this as an answer... unless someone brings a better solution, one that would not require jira-admin intervention for each change similar to this.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2013

I understand the pain. The only alternative I guess will to do some plugin dev to make it easier.

Suggest an answer