How to stop duplicate tickets from monitoring tools

Billy Perkins July 24, 2014

I have three server and application monitoring tools that I would like to be able to send an email to JIRA when a critical alert has been triggered. I am currently with JEMH to sort these emails. I can successfully route the alert emails into the correct projects using JEMH. However, when the alert ticket is open any similar tickets that are generated, I would like them to be comments of the orginial. Instead, I am getting duplicate tickets created. I understand why this is happening but I am wondering if there is a feature that I am missing that would allow me to stop this from happening.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2014

JEMH has some tricks to help in this scenario, with limited info on your setup, heres what could work:

If you have nominated external sender email addresses (from:) for each system, JEMH Regexp Field Processor can match on those and 'own' them for processing. RegexpFieldProc helps in your situation when there is a unique remote system ID of some kind. Best cases, this would be a simple alphanumeric ID, if it starts to include punctuation and symbols it complicates/breaks JQL lookups. The remote system ID is used to look for an existing issue with a custom field containing that value. If none is found, an issue is created, if it is found, it would be added as a comment.

Regexp Field Processor will require some rudamentary regexp knowledge!

https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JEMH/Use+Regexp+Field+Processor

There is also a Nagios Field Proccesor that works with Nagios (of course!) and also does system comment/create behaviour but is based on the structured subject such notifications have, in this case, it will do the right thing and comment where 'down/broken' messages keep arriving, the great thing though is that if the service reports 'UP/OK' the related issue is automatically resolved. Subsequent down messages result in a new issue.

https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JEMH/Use+Nagios+Field+Processor

If you have cases that can't be handled by above, please log a support ticket @ https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/browse/JEMH/, supporting integration of external systems by email is a core use case JEMH works to address, so if there is a system that can't be integrated, I want to know!

0 votes
Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2014

On some monitoring tools you can define dependencies and flapping to minimize duplicate tickets.

For Jira - you need to add original issue ID in subject line to make reoccured issues to display as comments. Which seams quite hard to manage.

Suggest an answer