How to start with portfolio plan

Nicolas Pansier March 6, 2017

Hi,

We have been using JIRA projects and boards over several years, and I am looking into a way to consolidate everything into a Portfolio Plan. Is there a better approach specified?

2 answers

0 votes
Nicolas Pansier March 7, 2017

Thank you for your answer. Following up, I have created a new project holding Initiatives with a kanban board and all our releases definition. I also created a portfolio plan, linked that new project and all other projects' boards we have already in use.

Each of these pre-existing projects have releases defined at project level. They same releases are defined across all projects.

Currently, the plan lists me releases from every one of the project.

How can I define the unique list of releases that will apply to all project? Do I just define my full list of releases in my new 'Initiatives' project (and delete the releases defined in all other projects)?

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2017

You can use "Cross project Releases" feature from the Portfolio - https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfoliocloud/creating-and-configuring-cross-project-releases-828785313.html 

As now you can create one release across all the projects using portfolio.

Nicolas Pansier March 9, 2017

Hi Tarun,

Thanks. I have setup CPRs on my portfolio project. As each of he linked board/project has its own release defined (matching those I create across projects), some of them completed, others in flights and some future ones, with stories assigned, how do I migrate each board and it's content discreet definition to the centralised matching CPR?

Nicolas Pansier March 9, 2017

When I tried to commit my CPRs to the various projects, I get "Unable to commit. A version with this name already exists in this project."

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2017

Your question is pretty broad. My suggestion to you will be to create a plan and set it's source as the scum/kanban boards. Once you have all the presently active issues in the Portfolio, you can explore other complex features like Capacity planning, Release planning, skills/teams management. etc

But first choose the right sources for your plans, if you don't have the boards setup, you can also choose the JQL filters.

Also when you say  "consolidate everything into a Portfolio Plan" , It's not the best of things to do to consolidate a single plan from all the projects. Instead you can group projects and create a plan corresponding to each project category. 

Suggest an answer