How to skip SSO for API

Mike_Bauer January 3, 2018

I'm trying to use the Jira API with Phantom Orschristration to ingest data. Data can be ingested and pulled fine, except for attachments in Jira which only grabs the html code for our SSO page (and pulls that in as the attachment instead of the desired attachment), 

We have a local installation of Jira and I have tried using the default non-sso login (<jirasitename>.com/login?nosso) but that returns an error as well (['No JSON object could be decoded']) with no data being returned.

How can I get this up and running?

2 answers

0 votes
Bruno Vincent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2018

Hi @Mike_Bauer

If you want to use the REST API on Jira Data Center, you will need to authenticate with Basic Auth unless you have a dedicated REST endpoint in which case you can still use form-based authentication. Please see the Login mode paragraph in the following Atlassian documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/enterprise/saml-single-sign-on-for-atlassian-data-center-applications-857050705.html

A dedicated REST endpoint means that one of your data center nodes will take care of all the REST API traffic. Please read the REST API traffic paragraph on this page for more information: https://confluence.atlassian.com/enterprise/traffic-distribution-with-atlassian-data-center-895912660.html

0 votes
Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2018

What SSO solution are you using?

-Lars 

Mike_Bauer January 4, 2018

The SSO platform is largely irrelevant to this issue since I need to know how to pass Non-SSO URL flags to jira in a URL used by the API to reference. 

I have a local account, I just don't know how to make it login locally using NON-SSO URLs that won't return the error: ['No JSON object could be decoded'].

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 4, 2018

How can that be irrelevant?

If you use our add-on and Kerberos, then you can use both basic and Kerberos to the REST API, but also IP blacklist the client IP so that SSO is not offered. 

If you use SAML, then you can add ?noautosso no the URL.

But again, this boils down to what SSO solution you are using.

-Lars

We're using SAML, but login.jsp?noautosso returns the same error as login.jsp?nosso, the error described above. I'm not to familiar with the gears turning behind the scenes here.

Is there documentation on how to configure/use non-sso url flags? I couldn't find anything on it.

Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 4, 2018

Are you using jira datacenter saml or a third party add-on? 

jira datacenter saml

C
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2018

for the SAML Solution, you need to configure exceptions that will not redirect the request to the SAML Solution.  this process will be different by the solution you have selected.  

for our solution, we are able to add the '/rest;' to our exclusion list and it does not redirect. 

Suggest an answer