How to show that task is connected to specific Story?

Rafal Wilk October 5, 2017

Hi,
If Story is small enough we estimate it, but if it is too big, we split it to Task (we do not use sub-tasks) and estimate Tasks. How can I easily know/show that this task is for specific Story? It is sometimes problem when we have the very similar tasks (or even the same) for 2 different Stories. Also I think that backlogs (Sprint and Product) would be much more tidy and readable. Can You help mi with this? Any ideas?

2 answers

0 votes
Raihan Mirza April 13, 2020

If we click on an Epic, it shows all the stories within it. So Epic works more like a placeholder. 

If we manually link multiple tasks to a story, is there any easy view to see all the tasks under any specific story? Here we are using "Task"s as a layer under parent layer "Story". Is it possible to see all the tasks under any story story the same way we can see the epic contents?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2017

The problem when you split things is that there's no logical tie between them - you don't know the difference between a split and a few issues that have been created together.

What I would do is promote the story to an Epic and then break it down into smaller stories and tasks.

Another option would be to link the issues together with issue links, but that's not really going to relate them together unless a user looks at them in full.

I don't understand the "more tidy and readable backlogs" - more than what?  And how would you do it?

Suggest an answer