How to show past sprint issues that have not yet gone into production

Typhoon 101 December 13, 2019

Hi. I am not a Jira Admin - just a Project Admin (and Project Lead) - and also new to Jira.

Our team works to two-week development sprints.  Our sprint board contains the following columns: To Do, Analysis, Development, QA and Done. All issues are planned for a single sprint ahead of time, and at the end of the two weeks, all issues would hopefully have been moved to the "done" status and the sprint is closed.  

However, just because we have finished our development, it does not necessarily mean our work has been released to a production environment. It could be another two, three or even more weeks until an issue is required to be pushed live. (We are responsible for promoting issues to production as well as developing them)

Our stake-holders now want to be able to see a list of all issues which have been completed as far as development is concerned, but not yet pushed to production. What is the best way to set this up? I thought about just adding another swimlane to our board - maybe something like "Development Complete" and place that just before the "Done" column. But if I did that, as each sprint closes, I would have to move un-released issues from the current sprint to the next - and maybe even to the one after that. This is messy, but would mess up our reporting.

Is there a better solution?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2019

Yes, you should add the new status you mentioned but organize your board to display both statuses in the last column. That way both statuses will be treated as completed from the sprint perspective. However, you will be able to search for the issues based on their status.

Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2019

An example board configuration:

Screenshot from 2019-12-13 15-40-30.png

Like Vijay Shanmugam likes this
Typhoon 101 December 13, 2019

Thanks for the response.  So when I close down a sprint, tasks with a status of "Development Complete" will be removed from the backlog, but will still show up in the search results. Is that correct? (I only have a production instance of Jira so cannot close a sprint to test this)

If so, that is exactly what I want.

Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 14, 2019

The tasks are removed from the backlog as soon as you put them in the sprint.

You can always experiment within a new separate project.

Typhoon 101 December 16, 2019

Just tried it out. It works perfectly. Thanks for your support

Suggest an answer