How to share a Dashboard with a created rol for a project

Operations Superviso Jira 2 December 3, 2013

Hi,

I have created two new roles for a project and I gave them permission to browse the project. Now I want to create new and different Dashboard for each new role, but when I share the Dashboard I select the project and I cannot see that new roles in the select list.

I need help to assign the new Dashbord to those roles.

Thanks in advance

9 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Operations Superviso Jira 2 December 9, 2013

Hi Nic,

I have been researching again in the answers and I found another question like mine and the solution was: "you only can share a dashboard to a role that your user has a membership in it. For example if User A want to share dashboard to Custom role, User A must be a member of Custom role"

I have test it and it worked. As I am an Administrator it is odd that as an Administrator have to be added to a specific role within a project to be able to share with that role, but it works like this.

Thanks for your help

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2013

Bother. I just assumed you were in the roles, looking back, I realise I completely forgot to check that.

Sorry!

There are very good reasons that admins can't just do everything automatically (it's a terrible security model and it leads you into situations where an admin simply can't replicate errors)

0 votes
Jason Jonas October 25, 2019

Sadly, this same behavior still exists when trying to share a dashboard with users with specific roles for a given project...you MUST be a member of the role in order to share the dashboard with the users who have that role :P -- even as a full Jira admin! Thanks for documenting this 'feature'.

0 votes
Operations Superviso Jira 2 December 9, 2013

Ok, thanks for your help!

0 votes
Operations Superviso Jira 2 December 8, 2013

Hi Nic,

The roles I had created had one group as a member but no users. Now I have added two users but nothing has changed when try to share the Dashboard.

When I visit Admin -> User Management -> Roles, the roles list is:

Administrators

Developers

Operations Supervisor (created by me)

Operations Team (created by me)

Users

When trying to share the Dashboard appear number 1, 2 and 5, but not the other two created by me.

Thanks for your help

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2013

I think this needs to go to Atlassian OnDemand support. I can't see why those two roles don't appear in the list.

0 votes

Well, when sharing a Dashboard the option is: "add Shares" and you can choose: "eveyone"; "group" or "project". When selecting "project" I can select my project and a third option appears and it is written: "project roles" and below that those 3 roles.

I have also tried to share to Groups (as I have also created new groups) but also my custom groups don't appear to select them.

Thanks for your help

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2013

Ok, that does sound very wrong, the roles should be appearing.

Could you check one more thing though? Try putting a couple of individuals into one of your new roles in the project. (You can take them out later). Could you tell us what the list of roles are too, when you visit Admin -> Users -> Roles ?

0 votes

I have created two new Global Roles and assigned them to my project. And in the project I only use those new roles. So now I need to assign the Dashboard to those roles. When sharing the Dashboard I can select my project but when selecting the roles I can only see those three: administrators, developers and users that I am not using in my project. There should be a way to select my new roles...

thanks for your help

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2013

Um, "assigned them to my project". What does that mean exactly?

When you add a global role, it cuts across all projects automatically. You do not need to do anything with them. So I'm worried that you are looking at something other than actual roles.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2013

When you say you've "created two new roles for a project", do you mean that you've created two new roles *globally* and then you're trying to use them in the dashboard-share option?

I'm just unsure that you mean "role" as Jira uses the term.

0 votes
Anand Unadkat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2013

Go to manage dashboard > edit the dashboard, in the add share field, select project, selete the porject, and the roles.

That should retrict it to the roles you choose

Keith March 31, 2021

Hi Anand, the problem I'm having is that I have people assigned to a specific role (as seen on Project Settings > Users and roles page), but that specific role is not showing in the dropdown seen in the add share field, AND this specific role is added to the Browse Projects permission under the Project Settings > Project Permissions page.

Any idea what I need to do? The role is the Users role to which I have 4 people assigned on the project.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2013

I think you're getting mixed up.

Dashboards are shared with projects or groups. Not roles.

I guess you might mean something other than "role" in your question though. Could you explain what you have done and what you are expecting?

Suggest an answer