How to setup SLA's so that they are tracked by the assigned agent's time zone?

Christopher Simonian January 4, 2022

Is there a way to have SLA's tracked by the assigned agent's time zone?

At the moment, our company has about 3 different time zone's (more to come). What steps can we take to have an SLA tracked by the following: 

1. If ticket is "assigned" to an agent, have the SLA tracked only during that agent's timezone.

2. If the ticket is unassigned to a specific agent, have the ticket tracked by the customer's timezone. 

3. If the ticket is unassigned and the customer has no "specific" timezone set, have it only be tracked during the business hours of the available time zones. 

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. As of now, we only seem to have an option to track during a specific time frame and the SLAs are coming out inaccurate. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2022

Hi @Christopher Simonian

This is a great question. 

The only way I could think of is by using a new single option customfield that tracks the timezone. e.g. Easter, Pactific, etc.

Then based on the selection when the ticket is assigned, you will have to create different Calendars that basically track based on the different timezones, but set them accordingly to the main Jira Timezone you are using. After you do that, then updates your SLAs based on timezone.  

Example:

- Main timezone is EST and working hours are 9AM-5PM (zone = EST)

- Ticket comes from Pacific , then working hours are 12PM-8PM (zone = PST)

I hope this makes sense.

Christopher Simonian January 5, 2022

Hey Fabian, 

That sounds like it's close to what we're looking for.

Would you be able to provide perhaps some steps on how to set that up properly? How would the ticket know to switch timezones? Or what would trigger the action of changing the timezone? 

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2022

Hi @Christopher Simonian 

You will have to manually set it when the ticket is assigned via a transition screen.  I don't think jira knows the "time zone" of the user when it's assigned , so I doubt you can use automation.

The problem is that people could assign the tickets via the assignee field and the other "Assign" button.  

For the SLA, you will have to start counting at a specific transition when the ticket is assigned, which is when the ticket time zone is set.  

I hope this helps, but this is not an ideal solution.

Christopher Simonian January 6, 2022

I just found that we can actually use the JQL option in the SLA "Time Goal" section to assign calendars to specific agents. I believe this method will solve our problems! 

Thanks again four time and quick responses Fabian! 

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2022

I guess that works. Are you using per assignee or you have a group on the jql?

Cheers

Christopher Simonian January 7, 2022

IM using assignee as the filter, but there are multiple assignees per timezone so I've just adding them all into the same filter per calendar. 

1 vote
Karolina Wons_SaaSJet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2022

Hello @Christopher Simonian 

As an alternative solution to those are above, you can try a third-party add-on developed by my SaaSJet team - SLA Time and Report for Jira. All you need is to create necessary time zones and save in the add-on.

sla.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events