How to set up staging environment plugins

Michael Presutti June 6, 2016

Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up a JIRA staging environment and following the 'Establishing staging server environments for JIRA applications' guide.

The question I have is, will copying over the JIRA data directory from production, with all the plugins cause a problem with the plugin license? What will happen if I start staging JIRA with these plugins?

Or should I install the plugins in the staging env first ( registered with a dev license ) and then copy over the production data dir?

I don't want to knock out my production Tempo, Folio, Agile, and Zephir plugins when I start the staging environment.

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
George Dinkov _Botron_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2016

Hi Michael,

Usually it's best to have the add-ons installed first on the staging in order to be able to restore their data from production.

Even if you do it the other way, the production add-ons shouldn't get knocked out, but they might know work properly on staging.

For implementing the test->stage->prod process you can check our Configuration Manager for JIRA add-on - this is one of the main jobs it was developed for.

Cheers!

Azhar Saleem June 14, 2016

Thanks George!

Regards.

0 votes
Deleted user June 8, 2016

Hey Michael - Our Botron PSO team has years of everyday-experience managing the merge, un-merge, and migration of JIRA & Confluence instances. We deal with the kinds of planning you are tackling above on a daily basis.

I can set up a call to discuss how you can accelerate getting your project completed with the least amount of fuss & muss.

If you are interested, please let me know: rich.bowman@botronsoft.com

Suggest an answer